Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE engine cover mods

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
looks nice mate but yea like the other boys said i also took mine off. literally as i was leaving the dealer when i brought it then steam cleaned the engine, just curious if you noticed much difference when u fitted your y pipe? im debating to either get a y pipe or a maf otr

cheers

ssv183

BAZINGA
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV CBR1000rr
looks nice mate but yea like the other boys said i also took mine off. literally as i was leaving the dealer when i brought it then steam cleaned the engine, just curious if you noticed much difference when u fitted your y pipe? im debating to either get a y pipe or a maf otr

cheers

When i got the car it had the original feed box from the growler to the throttle body. I put the Y piece on and noticed no change at all.......Im getting a otr and maffless tune next month so ill keep you posted, at this point i would say save your cash, the y pipe did squat to seat of the pants driving, imo

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
Removing the engine cover doesn't expose anything which shouldn't be exposed right? (like electrics which will be damaged from water?)

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Really dont see how removing the engine cover is going to do anything for reducing engine bay, or manifold temp's as you havent taken any of the contributing factors to engine bay heat out of the equation and the manifold is still getting both radiant heat from the sun on the bonnet (during the day of course) and getting soak back from the rising heat in the engine bay either way.

Somebody on LS1.com did a test with cover on, cover off etc and the temperature was pretty much identical from recollection, and certainly not reduced in any great way. It's more of a cosmetic thing, although, you could be like the guy in the VZ section who painted his engine cover in heat proof paint and claimed he got extra KW out of it, BigDaddyCool i think it was?

If you're seriously serious about reducing engine bay temperatures then the first step would have to be HT Coating the headers. Then if you want to get extra extra serious,you could try relocating the heater hoses to remove their heat from the equation etc. etc.

Bottom line. Performance gains = minimal
Aesthetic gain = personal preference

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
No doubt it's marginal - but the ambient air moving around the motor will be slightly cooler than what it's operating at. And at speed there is quite a lot of air moving through the bay which will have some benefit, however insignificant. Given that there's no bolts holding the VE covers down and it's just a matter of lifting the shell up, there's nothing to be disappointed about if you don't notice anything. On long drives, I have noticed (using the incredibly accurate method of checking the temp gauge on the dash :hmmm: ) a slightly lower operating temperature. A tangible benefit? Hard to tell - my avg fuel dropped slightly (very), which could have been caused by a number of things (though no mechanical changes - and incidentally, it has gone back up since my last oil change - but that's another story).

seanssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6spd man with WP power pack
Back to the orignal topic, I had my shell signed by the drivers at Eastern Creek on Jan 29. Ironically first by Dick Jonhnson. I missed out on Lowndes's siggy but i managed to get HRT, JDR, GRM, plus a few others. So, if any of you were there and remember seeing a guy in HRT shirt lugging around an engine cover, that was me :surprise:. Actually a few people commented on what a great idea it was. Mine's still on the engine, but when I buy my Walky engine covers I'll take it off and hang on the garage wall.

SSV Redline

You Ride I Ride
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SSV Redline Sportwagon
I think the guy has done an excellent job but how does he stop th ecarbon fibre vinyl from peeling. 3M says do not use their vinyl on engine parts yet they say it will be good for up to three years on bonnets.