Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Engineering Mode - Is this right?

ajobbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE V-Series
I've just discovered the Engineering Mode on my '06 VE Omega, but there are couple of things that seem odd.

Firstly, the Instant Fuel reading shows a number in L/h and I am not really sure what unit that is supposed to be. Driving around it goes from around 0.12 at idle to about 2.5 under very heavy acceleration. I would have through it would have been the same L/100km like the trip computer shows?

Secondly, I don't seem to have the battery % at all. I get voltage but no %

Is something wrong?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Coz battery charge is measured in Volts, not %.

ajobbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE V-Series
Instant fuel is what the motor is using at that exact instant and the read out more or less says that if it was held at that load for an hour, that's how much fuel you would use.

OK, but when I am sitting on 100kmh, the readout was pretty steadily sitting under 1. So at 100kmh my fuel usage as L/h should be equal to L/100kmh, but it's like 1/10 of that.

kwaka738

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09 Berlina Sportwagon
Firstly, the Instant Fuel reading shows a number in L/h and I am not really sure what unit that is supposed to be. Driving around it goes from around 0.12 at idle to about 2.5 under very heavy acceleration. I would have through it would have been the same L/100km like the trip computer shows?

My 2008 Berlina has the instantaneous fuel reading display. If the car is moving it displays in L/100km but if the car is stopped and idling it displays in L/hr (which makes sense when you think about it).

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

ajobbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE V-Series
My last 2 have had voltage only. Can't remember the first one either way.

I'm guessing it might be a software thing (that came in a later release). Good chance they haven't updated the software in mine since factory.

Still not sure about the Instant fuel numbers tho. Even in L/hr they don't seem to make sense.

icetechaus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SPORTSWAGON
In mine the fuel reading is l/hour when I am not moving and changes to l/100km when the car moves.
As far as the battery is concerned mine shows %charged.

ajobbins

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE V-Series
In mine the fuel reading is l/hour when I am not moving and changes to l/100km when the car moves.
As far as the battery is concerned mine shows %charged.

What is your software version? As mine is an early VE, I reckon the software is a bit more basic. Might ask them to do an upgrade at next service.