Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Exhaust issue

V8s and beer

Everything else is trivia
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 R8 Clubsport LSA Tourer #0035
Hello all,
New member looking for help.
I picked up a new MY09 VE Wagon in March. Within days I had put it in for a 2.5" Cat back exhaust. Sounded great with very little drone, that is until the Active Fuel Management kicks in. Then it fills the cabin with the most horrid hammering type of drone. I have taken it back several times and had the rear cans changed with no difference. I then put the original mufflers back on, but kept the 2.5" system. The drone was gone, but so was the performance and V8 note I wanted. In desperation, I have now installed full tuned length headers, High flow cats and the 2.5 inch pipes etc. It has made a huge difference to the performance, but the horrible noise when the AFM activates (I would describe as like sitting inside a base drum) is unbearable. It is so bad that items in the glove box and console rattle.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, any advice to assist?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
funny that - the stock system works and goes to **** when you **** with it. I think you are going to be pushing **** up hill for a while on that till the aftermarket guys figure out a workaround for the huge differences in resonance with afm.

Reaper

V8s and beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Reaper,
Yes, worked fine, but sounded like my Old mans Toyota Crown.

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
I dunno if it works, but why not change the cans to the Varix mufflers ?

you will be able to open and close them as you want :)

Silver Streak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR
It appears to be common on the VE s I put a D@T 2-5 SS cat back and it does the same drones pretty bad I have done just over 2000 ks on the exhaust and I think that it is getting worse , the power increase is worth the drone, by golly it certainly opens it up and makes go even harder than with the standard system , I suppose seeing that the spare tyre sits in a plastic echo chamber , they reckon that is where the drone comes from , the supplier did state wait until the exhaust carbons up

V8s and beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys,
Yes, I had considered having the AFM disabled. I will probably do that when I have the MAF tune done. Not sure if the Corsa gear is here in Oz yet.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
just go and have a tune done. mafless tune with otr will give better fuel econ then afm anyway.