Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve Factory GPS

Rivers56

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
Just purchased the factory gps for my 2007 calais. Just need help installing the thing now. just wondering where all the plugs connect to and where they are located.

adam81

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 calais v
I been looking at getting one of these for my 2006 ve calais v, just wondering what sort of money you im looking at for one of them, if ya dont mind me askin, what you payed for yours?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I believe they are in the glove box.

Reaper

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Navigation System Components

The navigation system contains the following components:
• The navigation module
• The navigation interface module (NIM)
• The global positioning system (GPS) antenna

These components then integrate and communicate with the following components:
• The infotainment module
• The steering wheel controls
• The body control module (BCM)
• The instrument cluster

Navigation Module
The navigation module is available in 2 different variants. Both are single DIN units designed as external components which can be installed as part of the infotainment system. The navigation module is mounted in the instrument panel compartment and contains all the navigation engines and gyroscope used to detect movement of the vehicle.

Type A Navigation Module
This navigation module features 'Turn by Turn' directions. The navigation module is an optional accessory to low level vehicles fitted with Type A or C infotainment systems. The navigation module transmits 'Turn by Turn' direction symbols to the instrument cluster display, via serial data to the navigation interface module (NIM) before being translated and re-transmitted via GMLAN. The navigation module also sends audible verbal direction to the speakers through the radio/HVAC control via the NIM. Key entries are entered via the steering wheel remote control.

Type B Navigation Module
This navigation module features 'Turn by Turn' directions as well as displaying full map and routing information on the radio/HVAC control display. The navigation module is an optional accessory to high level vehicles fitted with Type D infotainment systems featuring 6.5" colour LCDs. The navigation module transmits 'Turn by Turn' direction symbols to the instrument cluster display, via serial data to the navigation interface module (NIM) before being translated and re-transmitted via GMLAN. The navigation module also sends audible verbal direction to the speakers through the radio/HVAC control via the NIM. Map based navigation routing information is also channelled directly to the radio/HVAC control display from the navigation module. Key entries are entered via the radio/HVAC control fascia. The INFO button on the steering wheel is used to recall the last audible direction, and also displays the function on the instrument clusters centre multi-function display.

Navigation Interface Module (NIM)
The navigation interface module (NIM) is used to communicate data between the navigation module and the vehicle body control module (BCM), the instrument cluster and the radio/HVAC control. The illumination signal and ignition signal messages are sent from the BCM to the NIM via GMLAN, the NIM then translates these signals and re-transmits the data to the navigation module. The odometer and reverse signals are also transmitted to the navigation module via the NIM. The NIM also translates and re-transmits the mute signal from the navigation module via serial data to the radio/HVAC control. The NIM is mounted to the inside edge of the instrument panel insulation panel, directly beneath the I/P compartment.

Global Positioning System (GPS) Antenna
The global positioning system (GPS) locates the current position of the vehicle using signals sent by GPS satellites. The GPS antenna is attached to the instrument panel (I/P) carrier and can be accessed by removing the I/P centre air outlet grille assembly. The GPS antenna is powered through the same coaxial cable used to send the signals to the navigation module. Interference to the system may occur if any of the following exist:
• Signal shadowing, when signals are obstructed by objects such as tall trees or buildings.
• Metallic objects located on the dashboard.
• Aftermarket glass tinting has been applied to the vehicles windshield.
• Ionospheric disturbance (caused by solar activity, which results in greatly increased radio wave absorption).
• Atmospheric disturbances caused by stormy weather.
• Proximity to high power distribution locations, i.e. sub-stations, power stations.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
I have the full Installation manual for the Factory GPS (Dealer Fit option, Turn by Turn Model including Infotainment integration)....
Its pretty big, and pretty intense. (Around 20 pages printed).

Let me know if you want it.
Cheers

Rivers56

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
I paid 540 off eBay. It was also ment to include the DVD for maps but it wasn't sent so trying chase that up. So I have almost figured it all out. So there is a loom that powers everything in the glovebox and also controls the boot. The new loom for the gps is the same but also has extra connections for the gps unit. So it's a straight swap for looms just the new one has a few extra connections. There is one connection on the loom I can't seem to find where it goes. One more cable was supplied that looks like a computer monitor cable where'd you screw up and in the other end I think it's a 6 or 8 pin connection and it's found just under the dash behind the glovebox. Also on the actual unit itself there looks like a tv aerial soccet which looks like for an antanna. Should I have been supplied this or is the actual unit have it internally like a mobile phone or portable gps.

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
I am glad mine was thrown in when i bought my car as it is the worst GPS i have delt with. It doesn't have speed cameras/school zones and to "update" to the next dvd/disk Holden want $350 !! My $200 TomTom i have in my work car sh*ts all over it... ( End Rant )

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sting SV Black Edition Tourer
Yep, might not be factory looking, but my tomtom sh@ts all over the factory system. And for nowhere near the money.

My 60th Ann SSV was meant to have the GPS included but at the last moment Holden changed their mind and put sunroofs in. Win IMO.

Rivers56

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
the links posted dont seem to work just gives me a download link. Also is there any copys of the updated disk floating around on the net? I really just need to know where one more cable plugs into and im set so if you could post an image of that page would be greatly apreciated. Its the wiring loom that also powers the glove box and boot ect