Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve Factory GPS

humnut

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais v8
Hi there long time reader first time poster, the info on here is invaluable. I have a 2010 VE Calais V wagon and im looking at putting in sat nav, just wondering is there and reprogramming of the head unit that needs to be done or is it just a matter of plugging in all the respective parts and turning it on and it works?

Thanks

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sting SV Black Edition Tourer
Please don't.....please don't waste your money. $2k plus for Holden and it's a rubbish system. I just replaced my trusty tomtom with a Garmin 2350. Cost $110. Winner

humnut

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais v8
Yeah i've read that but I have been offered a system for free so thought if its doesn't require any programming of the head unit I might as well put it in.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
$110 !!!!!! Thats Pricey !!!!!

You can get GPS units off eBay now for less than $70, and thats with FREE shipping !!!!!! :)

Humnut, I am assuming the Calais V Wagon is a series I ?
You dont need to reprogram the head unit to fit the factory Sat-Nav.
You just need the modules, and wiring looms detailed above...

(Once you wire up and plug the Navigation Interface Module, it tells the Cluster and Colour LCD Radio that a Nav unit has been fitted, and the options become available)...

Last edited:

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
and I bet they're classy units..... ;)

Almost as user friendly as the holden unit....

velj

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve sv6 ute
best thing to do if you have a portable gps like a tomtom and have to plug it into the center console, take a side panel out net to the chair, go to supercheap or autobarn buy a cig lighter extension thing or adaptor so you can fit more accessories, play with the wires in the back of the original lighter, soilder it all together and run the wires up to the little space infront of the gear stick under the radio either drill a little hole and poke the wire through befor you soilder them or run them around the side of the plastic panel, then its easy to get to you dont have to have a cable running from your window to the center of your car, and you can plug what ever else u want in to, neons, lighter, charger.

my opinion and its not hard to do.

id still go with the tom tom, to much stuffing around getting a headunit re programed with hvac controls n stuff

velj

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve sv6 ute
$110 !!!!!! Thats Pricey !!!!!

You can get GPS units off eBay now for less than $70, and thats with FREE shipping !!!!!!

i found one that has a 5 inch screen and is 5mm thick, has a wireless reverse camera, and tells you where red light cameras are, speed cameras and all, THATS SICK
for 120 decent price
haha

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah i've read that but I have been offered a system for free so thought if its doesn't require any programming of the head unit I might as well put it in.
for free then thats a different story> I can imagine them looking pretty good on the SSV/Calais/HSV screens but I just understand they are not a very good system. When somethings free though.......

best thing to do if you have a portable gps like a tomtom and have to plug it into the center console, take a side panel out net to the chair, go to supercheap or autobarn buy a cig lighter extension thing or adaptor so you can fit more accessories, play with the wires in the back of the original lighter, soilder it all together and run the wires up to the little space infront of the gear stick under the radio either drill a little hole and poke the wire through befor you soilder them or run them around the side of the plastic panel, then its easy to get to you dont have to have a cable running from your window to the center of your car, and you can plug what ever else u want in to, neons, lighter, charger.

my opinion and its not hard to do.

id still go with the tom tom, to much stuffing around getting a headunit re programed with hvac controls n stuff

I actually had my car charger hard wired into my car's power. The cable runs off down the front of the dash. This new Garmin unit is nice. Once you turn on the car, the system fires up and when you turn the key off, it shuts down. The Garmin I have is a 2350 https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=70242 and costs $170. I scored at $110. We had a "$70" system as a freebie in my wife's new Outlander. Its a bucket of junk that stopped working.

cf269857.jpg

velj

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve sv6 ute
thats a good idea to bonners but what if you want to take the gps out?

bonners

Reaction score
Members Ride
That cord was actually the one for my tomtom so I have the new Garmin one if I want to use it in another car. But to answer your question, just buy a spare car charger IF and WHEN you need to put it in another car