Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE factory roof mount DVD w/ aftermarket HU

FelwintersLie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
Is it possible to retain the roof mount DVD player when installing an aftermarket head unit using the Aerpro kit, ie is there some form of aux out that can be connected to a new head unit?

If this is not possible, is there an aftermarket roof mount player that fits as a direct replacement, or close to it?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
At this stage, no it won't work.
No, there is not an aftermarket kit that replaces the roof mount as a direct fit. It's more than doable, but it would involve a lot of work, including a custom roof lining.
I have thought about modifying the screen and having a computer in the back that plays onto the screen. I thought about it.

FelwintersLie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
No worries. Cheers for the quick reply. The factory DVD player isn't very good anyway, so maybe I could fab something up to fit an aftermarket one of some sort in the hole.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
And modify the roof panel, including retrim.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
At this stage, no it won't work.
No, there is not an aftermarket kit that replaces the roof mount as a direct fit. It's more than doable, but it would involve a lot of work, including a custom roof lining.
I have thought about modifying the screen and having a computer in the back that plays onto the screen. I thought about it.

Does the roof mounted DVD take a feed from the HU, or is it its own seperate unit?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Takes the feed from the DVD. Loom through roof. Down A-pillar. Splits into two plugs at base of windscreen. Then to Head Unit and possibly BCM. All part of the dash loom. Not a separate loom.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Takes the feed from the DVD. Loom through roof. Down A-pillar. Splits into two plugs at base of windscreen. Then to Head Unit and possibly BCM. All part of the dash loom. Not a separate loom.

Afaik isn't there a way to feed SD video out from the dashboard? It'd either use Analog video or S-Video standards. All you have to do is figure out which wires do that, and what video standard they use. Wire up the plugs, and bam!