Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve fascia kit and display screen

ucdebz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
hi guys.

i have replaced my stock ve omega head unit with the ve fascia kit and a pioneer double din head unit. my question is, what can i do with the old display that used to be on top of the stock head unit? it is disabled atm and i was wondering if i could take it out and put a gps or an obd reader. was just wondering if anyone has any ideas with regards to that screen. i could not find a pre existing thread on this topic, if there is one please point me in that direction.

Cheers.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Mini ipad? Or cheap chinese android tablet?

VEO55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
I think this is a good idea, if I was in your situation I would to the same thing.
You can see in the attached photo they have used a Garmin Nuvi mounted into the factory dash piece.
You can use any GPS as long as the dimensions are correct, and the other thing is the unit needs to have auto power on/off, you will not have easy access to the power button.
Make up some simple brackets to hold the GPS and you're done, remember nobody will see your bracket... So do what you want.

image.jpg

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Shouldn't you be able to change it to the "atari" display using the new fascia? Mine did, though I have an SV6 which has the red display. Pretty sure it can be done with a programmer, but I have no experience with the omega's display. Anyway, that was awful in my opinion, so I removed it. What I ended up doing was buying a cheap ebay screen and pulling it apart. Then I made up a mount so it replaces the original. Then swapping a few wires about I now run the HVAC display permanently on that display (not appearing when a button is pressed). Considering my expertise, it was still pretty easy to do and I'm happy with it (though it will be better if I end up redoing it - I see what I could have done better). Oh and that's zero expertise I have. Got a dodgy pic only, sorry.

18092011142sm.jpg <- Before / After -> 2013-03-14-152sm.jpg

Other thing I was thinking of doing was putting an OBD reader in there, but that's going to be more expensive and more stuffing about. At the moment I have a phone for that.