Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Flasher unit upgrade?

jonnodd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CLubsport R8
I recall happily driving a VE in 06 and the first thing I noticed, well first thing that annoyed me, was it's blinker/flasher noise! Now I have just bought my own VE, also an 06, and that 'cheap' blinker tick still annoys me! Has anybody else particular like me and found that changing the flasher unit to an after-market one gave a better result?

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah that indicator noise is really annoying. Way too loud. I have a feeling it is computer generated though. I noticed that when other system noises sound the flasher sound stops till they are finished. I think it's when things like the parking sensors sound for example. I would dearly love to tone that noisy puppy down, but haven't seen a way to do so on here.

jonnodd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CLubsport R8
OK. Thanks for that, it's certainly a minor issue which makes no real differnce to my enjoyment of the car! I think you could be right too stirringaxe.

phantomblack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
The noise comes from a small speaker in the instrument cluster, not a flasher unit.
A fix is to remove the instrument cluster and fit an inline volume control in series with the speaker wire. These are available from Jaycar for $7 (made for mp3 players) plus a male and female connector and a short length of speaker cable so you can place the control somewhere easy to access. No more than an hours work for a competent auto electrician or yourself if you have a bit of technical nouse. I did mine some months ago and works fine, more peaceful when sitting in traffic waiting to turn.
This same speaker is responsible for low fuel warning, start up chime & seatbelt warning so the fix cures all the annoying sounds without deleting them altogether.

dcinc

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
The noise comes from a small speaker in the instrument cluster, not a flasher unit.
This same speaker is responsible for low fuel warning, start up chime & seatbelt warning so the fix cures all the annoying sounds without deleting them altogether.

my blnker sound in my ve wagon has just died...as has the sound of the reverse sensors, the seatbelt warning, that handbrake warning etc etc. now some i can definitely live without but, holden being holden, have just quoted me $650 to replace the instrument cluster as they said it is the little speaker has failed. of course the warranty for such things ran out a month or so ago.

Now surely, if it is just the little speaker, it can be replaced? Anyone have any suggestions?

huthy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss

my blnker sound in my ve wagon has just died...as has the sound of the reverse sensors, the seatbelt warning, that handbrake warning etc etc. now some i can definitely live without but, holden being holden, have just quoted me $650 to replace the instrument cluster as they said it is the little speaker has failed. of course the warranty for such things ran out a month or so ago.

Now surely, if it is just the little speaker, it can be replaced? Anyone have any suggestions?

That's bit rough I reckon

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Yes, the speaker can be replaced.
I have no idea though where you could obtain a replacement speaker though.
(Maybe buy a cheapy VE cluster from ebay, and desolder the old speker, and replace with a working one)....

If you were going to go to that much trouble though, you may as well replace / upgrade the cluster to another model (Triple window Calais / HSV cluster).

Ryzie.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore
At first I thought it was annoying. Then I turned my music up; haven't heard it since :)

Nemo316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SSV
I hated it at first but I don't even notice it any more.