Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Fuel guage and cruise control not working

Peter Kerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute
The fuel guage on my VE SS ute is nearly always reading incorrectly and sometimes it reads correctly, for a while, then the contact dealer warning comes on and the fuel guage reads zero. Yesterday the cruse control wouldn't work either. I suspect a bad electrical connection but don't know where to start looking.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Possibly a dodgy fuel sender. Best to get it scanned for codes to give you an idea of where to head with it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
VE post in VF thread?

Should add that IIRC, VE has a recall or service campaign to replace an earth or similar wiring loom in the engine bay that was responsible for lots of electrical gremlins. Maybe something to check.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Clearly an error which the rest of us probably ignored..
Fair enough. I don’t really mind if sub forums are cross posted or polluted.

It’s just that I thought VE had older electrical architecture different to VF so OP may get better responses by having this thread in the appropriate sub forum (where there are similar fuel gauge posts like this one).

Peter Kerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute
Fair enough. I don’t really mind if sub forums are cross posted or polluted.

It’s just that I thought VE had older electrical architecture different to VF so OP may get better responses by having this thread in the appropriate sub forum (where there are similar fuel gauge posts like this one).
I'm not that familiar with how Just Commodores is structured so I might have this conversation in the wrong space.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm not that familiar with how Just Commodores is structured so I might have this conversation in the wrong space.
No sweat, if the moderators are happy then it's ok with me ;)

You may have an issue with fuel sender, cluster (or wherever the sender info is received), wiring or contact issues (including earthing). As mentioned 2nd post, checking scan codes could give you a hint. Problem is that access to sender is by dropping the tank which by all accounts is a big job :(

So at the end of the day, did you solve your problem and if so what was it?

Peter Kerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute
The fuel gauge is working fine today, that is why I suspect a dodgy electrical connection, corrosion or dirt. Need to get the vehicle onto the hoist and have a look around for electrical connectors. Earthing could be a problem as well. Will keep you posted.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ you may still need to drop the tank to check fuel sender connectors on top which IIUC can’t be accessed with the tank in place unless your VE has an access hatch under the back seat (lucky bugger of so).

As for your cruise control not working, it may bethe steering wheel clock spring o_O

Oh and if you bought your VE second hand, check to make sure it’s not a repairable writeoff. If it is, check the code as it would indicate whT type of repairable writeoff. Many a drowned vehicle have been put back on the market after the many floods we’ve had over the years. If you have such a vehicle, you may be chasing your tail fixing things. Doubt it’s the case as such is hard to put back on the road but their are still dodgy people around. It’s a simple thing to check though.