Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve Fuel pump failures

Wickham_1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 Senator Signature
Hello everyone,

I know there are several threads on this but wanting to see if they're any updates or findings on it.

I have bought a 2009 E2 senator signature September of 2017. A week after buying I had symptoms of a failing fuel pump; would start but idle rough and a die, cranking but no fire and only way to get it to run was a bit to the fuel tank. After a a week or so dealing with the dealership getting it fixed under warranty I had a new fuel pump module fitted from hsv and things sweet.

14 months after new fuel pump fitted I once again had fuel pump failure. Mechanic took the fuel pump out and tested but no power at all, pump was dead. He checked all fuses, relays and wiring and all was a okay, no signs of wear. Ask about the state of the pump and filter and said that there was no gunk or grime on them. Also I have gone to the same fuel station (BP) same pump, 98 and never let it below 1/4 tank.

Tried our luck gettingwarranty through hsv and didn't want a bar of it so they went to order a pump module and said that it was superseded and to use another part number that must be now the one that's taken over. Ended up getting another fuel pump module through a local dealer or parts store not exactly sure but is a little cheaper than buying from hsv.

My car is running now nearly $800 later but wanted to know if anyone else has had issues with fuel pumps in their ves? And any information that may help. I hope I don't just have a dud

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I had one let go at around 120,000 in my E3 Senator. Only one that died over 3 x VE's (2 x 6 Litres and the LS3) and just shy 400,000km

micko33

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
Im on my 3rd pump. Loom all good. Im waiting for tommorrow for out come. I think it needs a reprogram ecu and relays changed as its overvolting in spurts. So only done 12000km on each pump.can only wait

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hello everyone,

I know there are several threads on this but wanting to see if they're any updates or findings on it.

I have bought a 2009 E2 senator signature September of 2017. A week after buying I had symptoms of a failing fuel pump; would start but idle rough and a die, cranking but no fire and only way to get it to run was a bit to the fuel tank. After a a week or so dealing with the dealership getting it fixed under warranty I had a new fuel pump module fitted from hsv and things sweet.

14 months after new fuel pump fitted I once again had fuel pump failure. Mechanic took the fuel pump out and tested but no power at all, pump was dead. He checked all fuses, relays and wiring and all was a okay, no signs of wear. Ask about the state of the pump and filter and said that there was no gunk or grime on them. Also I have gone to the same fuel station (BP) same pump, 98 and never let it below 1/4 tank.

Tried our luck gettingwarranty through hsv and didn't want a bar of it so they went to order a pump module and said that it was superseded and to use another part number that must be now the one that's taken over. Ended up getting another fuel pump module through a local dealer or parts store not exactly sure but is a little cheaper than buying from hsv.

My car is running now nearly $800 later but wanted to know if anyone else has had issues with fuel pumps in their ves? And any information that may help. I hope I don't just have a dud

Yes, I had Fuel Pump issues, as per link,
major fault is the Loom to the Fuel Pump
Your welcome to PM me if you like, I wont go into the logistics in this thread, then I will give you my phone number, and you can call me to discuss what I had to do.
Hope this helps
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...ol-unit-reversing-sensor-control-unit.274561/

Wickham_1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 Senator Signature
Yes, I had Fuel Pump issues, as per link,
major fault is the Loom to the Fuel Pump
Your welcome to PM me if you like, I wont go into the logistics in this thread, then I will give you my phone number, and you can call me to discuss what I had to do.
Hope this helps
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...ol-unit-reversing-sensor-control-unit.274561/
Hey mate, when The second pump went I had my mechanic go over relays fuses and the loom and it all checked out, no burnt plugs which is making me think maybe genuine hsv pumps are dodge in some way. my thoughts were the pump possibly can't handle the load and is always working hard all the time causing it to shorten life span

Wickham_1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 Senator Signature
Im on my 3rd pump. Loom all good. Im waiting for tommorrow for out come. I think it needs a reprogram ecu and relays changed as its overvolting in spurts. So only done 12000km on each pump.can only wait
Definitely let us know how you go when you find out

micko33

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
I surely will ... A plug is arcing on the pump the wires arent able to handle that power from a big spurt of electricity randomize and wears it out in due time. It wouldnt surprise me gm didnt think through the simple small things that mattered most and such a pain in lable cost to fix a c.nt of a thing.lol

micko33

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
Hey mate, when The second pump went I had my mechanic go over relays fuses and the loom and it all checked out, no burnt plugs which is making me think maybe genuine hsv pumps are dodge in some way. my thoughts were the pump possibly can't handle the load and is always working hard all the time causing it to shorten life span
Just small shitty wires. Thicker wire and better plug connectors make a huge difference.im not sure about the pumps all look the same to me. You can only tell when u open them up how the impellors look and what material is used in making them not wear so quick.

Wickham_1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 Senator Signature
I surely will ... A plug is arcing on the pump the wires arent able to handle that power from a big spurt of electricity randomize and wears it out in due time. It wouldnt surprise me gm didnt think through the simple small things that mattered most and such a pain in lable cost to fix a c.nt of a thing.lol
They'd have to know if they're telling everyone doing a pump to also do that part of the loom aswel

Wickham_1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 Senator Signature
Just small shitty wires. Thicker wire and better plug connectors make a huge difference.im not sure about the pumps all look the same to me. You can only tell when u open them up how the impellors look and what material is used in making them not wear so quick.
Suggesting maybe a custom loom to handle a bit more spark coming through?