Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Handbrake

ljeff7

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore SV6 Ute 60th Anniversary
im about to get a full service, ill mention it to them, thanks!

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
If you look at the rear rotors, you'll see a small rubber plug on the face of the hat. Pop that out and have the hole at the bottom. You may have to remove the wheels depending on the wheel. In there you will find a vertical adjustment wheel. A small screwdriver and turn that wheel adjusts the handbrake. At least that's what you have to do for minimal adjustment to loosen the handbrake enough to remove the rotors. Not sure if that's the only (or proper) way to tighten them enough. But that is the proper way to loosen them while removing the rotor. I'll find my manual tomorrow and look it up, but I'd expect that handbrake adjustment is part of the service anyway. Either way I'll post tomorrow for future reference so others know if needed, or you wish to do it sooner than the service.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Ok, how to adjust the VE handbrake:

1. Car on stands, h/brake off, rear wheels removed, couple of nuts back on to hold rotor in place.
2. Centre console top panel - pull up disconnect window switches etc. (Might not need to completely disconnect IMO if it out of the way enough)
3. Loosen the cable adjusting screw a few turns. (Torx screw visible to rear of cup holders)
4. Remove rubber grommet on rotor hat, hole at bottom. Small screwdriver to turn the adjuster wheel until park brake locked.
5. Loosen adjuster until hub spins (usually 3-5 clicks)
6. Tighten cable adjusting nut until slack removed and some resistance (roughly 2Nm)
7. Check lever feels fine. Check wheels rotate without h/brake drag with lever released.
8. Re-assemble, lower car, test on a hill.

Done. Have beer as a reward (if you're not about to drive again) :beer chug:

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
You dont have to remove the whole console trim to access the lever adjustment, just the bit in front of the storage compartment.

ljeff7

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore SV6 Ute 60th Anniversary
Thanks guys, ill have a crack tomorrow morning.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
How does a VE handbrake work what's different from earlier models?
I can have my VE in park with handbrake on when I lean on front or back, the car shifts/moves is this normal

I'm still wondering what you mean "when you lean on front or back" , your car should not move in Park with or without the handbrake applied.

Most handbrake s fail because people drive with them applied

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac manual/VE sportswagon omega Z-series
I'm still wondering what you mean "when you lean on front or back" , your car should not move in Park with or without the handbrake applied.

Most handbrake s fail because people drive with them applied

iv had a play with the handbrake it just needs to be applied a little harder than my VX as the car moving when lent on i may have left car in drive or reverse (its my first automatic i have found myself sometimes looking for a clutch pedal and forgetting to put it in park in the first couple of months of owning it) all sorted now thanks guys

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute SS
Yeah that tightens the cable. here's a video on adjusting the hand brake shoes to the hand brake drum at the wheels.

grahame

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore VS
Do any of the omega models use a drive shaft disc hand brake, I have a 2009 model and have been told that's how it works?
Appreciate any advice
Thanks Grahame