Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE has noisy idler pulley

andy wkgen3

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman 5.7
My VE has got a very noisy idler pulley. At first I thought it was that tensioner pulley so I change that. While the belt was off I felt the water pump a bit loose and noisy so I change that. The fan belt is still quite new and it's been sprayed with WD-40 belt conditioner but the noise will not go away. I have isolated the noise coming from the idler pulley. By using a very long screwdriver I can squeeze into the small gap on the idler wheel while it is running and it goes quiet. Also noticed the belt will track about 2 to 3 mm more forward. So when I take the idler pulley off and inspect the bearing is in great condition and I cannot see any wear marks anywhere. I feel as though this idler pulley movement is too much but it is firmly mounted on its bracket with no play.
I'm hoping that someone has had a similar problem and can advise me on how to fix this.
Thanks in advance.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Since you have come this far replacing parts you might as well just replace that idler pulley and be done with it. Should be able to get one for under $30.

andy wkgen3

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman 5.7
Since you have come this far replacing parts you might as well just replace that idler pulley and be done with it. Should be able to get one for under $30.
I would have no problem changing that idler pulley if I thought It would have an effect but it looks really good. I'm thinking that the bearing mount may be bent. Is it possible? It looks like it's the same mount that's holding the AC in position. Any thoughts?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
How many ks on this engine?
I'd just start with the easiest and most likely solution first and replace that idler. If it doesn't stop the noise you have eliminated the possibility and need to keep searching.