Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Head Unit Upgrade

JoeGould92

Reaction score
Members Ride
Still shopping!
I'm new here but I'm sure it's been asked a million times already... Here goes..

I'm looking at buying a VE. I'm a tech-head and want to have Android Auto & a nice big touchscreen, so my research so far says I'll have to get a Series 1, because it seems the Series 2 head units aren't removable/upgradable because of the air con & other related built-ins. Is this the case? Is there a plug-in of some sort to enable Android Auto/Apple Car Play?

My plan is to have something post-2009 so I can use it for Uber Driving (toying with the idea), and a Series 2 would be ideal, but if I can't upgrade the screen to a bigger aftermarket touchscreen & built-in wi-fi for wireless phone connectivity/Android Auto, I'll have to settle for a Series 1...... Thoughts?

Gavkat09

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy sv8
I went a pioneer headunit with the aerpro fascia kit. Works well for me

JoeGould92

Reaction score
Members Ride
Still shopping!
I went a pioneer headunit with the aerpro fascia kit. Works well for me
That's what I was thinking of doing, only I have the opportunity to buy a Series 2 at a great price and with low Ks. I'd give it a lot more thought if someone had managed to replace a Series 2 head unit for an aftermarket one

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
Check out kayhanaudio they have VE S1 now S2 head units to replace the stock one

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Kayhan’s 11” screen allows for a Tesla like interface. It suits dual climate models, incorporates both rear view and parking sensor map on the screen at the same time. Android auto and CarPlay. It shows how mainstream audio brands are falling well behind.

Series 2 VE can easily be retro fitted with required S1 trim parts to allow one of these to be fitted.

Gavkat09

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy sv8
Unfortunately I’ve seen to many s2 units start to play up recently. Go the aftermarket option. And you can sway it out easy and also pick one that suits your needs the most.

Last edited:

JoeGould92

Reaction score
Members Ride
Still shopping!
Unfortunately I’ve seen eat to many s2 units start to play up recently. Go the aftermarket option. And you can sway it out easy and also pick one that suits your needs the most.
That's the problem though, it seems it's completely impossible to replace an S2 head unit with an aftermarket one, as the air con controls and other features are connected to the stock unit which could render the car immobile.

JoeGould92

Reaction score
Members Ride
Still shopping!
I know the aircon works in my s1
Yes, because it's not linked into the head unit on a Series 1. On the Series 2, the air con etc is linked to the head unit display

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That's the problem though, it seems it's completely impossible to replace an S2 head unit with an aftermarket one, as the air con controls and other features are connected to the stock unit which could render the car immobile.
As I’ve already posted, it’s not. Use S1 trim panels and install an after market system. It’s simply a reversal of the S2 install into an S1. There are also after market systems available for S1.