Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Headlight Disassembly. Removing the "kicker"

NurburgringUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute 2008 V8
First: im an aussie in germany, ive just bought a VE Ute and im shipping it to Germany so i can set the worlds fastest lap on the ring in a Ute.. (its far less impressive as it sounds haha).

As Europe is all Right Hand Drive, I need to either modify or replace the headlights. I can get some Pontiac G8 headlights and that solves the problem pretty quick, but i was wondering if i can just remove the kicker from the stock headlights and keep it Holden.

So, has anyone ever pulled the headlights apart and could give me some advice as to whether this would be possible with stock headlights?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The entire reflector is designed for right hand drive. To open them up, there are quite a few YouTube videos showing mods on the headlights and how to heat the assembly in an oven to open them up.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Its possible to pull the headlights apart, but are LHD reflectors available to replace the current ones?
Pretty sure they're not a 'service' item.
The Pontiac G8 headlights are probably the only solution.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I thought it was a small fixed internal vane within the headlight assembly the defined the cutoff angles between left and right hand drive markets. It’s likely a small part that could be flipped but pulling apart and resealing headlamp assemblies is problematic as dust and water inveriably gets in afterwards. And you’d still have halogen headlamps.

It’d be much easier though more expensive buying the Chevy SS headlamp assemblies and the associated wiring so you’d end up with better self leveling HID headlamps (rather than the not as good halogen headlamps). Pity the Chevy does not have also include a headlamp washer system as this is required in Europe when HIDs assemblies are used.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I thought it was a small fixed internal vane within the headlight assembly the defined the cutoff angles between left and right hand drive markets. It’s likely a small part that could be flipped but pulling apart and resealing headlamp assemblies is problematic as dust and water inveriably gets in afterwards. And you’d still have halogen headlamps.

It’d be much easier though more expensive buying the Chevy SS headlamp assemblies and the associated wiring so you’d end up with better self leveling HID headlamps (rather than the not as good halogen headlamps). Pity the Chevy does not have also include a headlamp washer system as this is required in Europe when HIDs assemblies are used.

Chevy SS headlights wont fit a VE...

NurburgringUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute 2008 V8