Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Headlining install advice.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
So I'm getting the headlining back in. Well; trying to.
Have worked out that those bloody visor clamps are best assembled on the headlining before putting back. I've removed the clips from the roof metal and they are now reattached to the headlining and will now push into the hole provided. Easy.

The blingin' jesus handles though are testing me out.
That spacer is tricky. keeping it there enough and not putting the screw through the airbag is hard.

If I could get the screw clips out of the roof metal, I could semi-assemble them on the roof lining before hand and then push them into the metal and tighten the screws, which is how I suspect they do it in the factory.

Any tips?

"...Anyone. Anyone. Anyone."

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is this video, but I now hate this person. A lot. Reece doesn't quite show enough of how he has done this. I hate how easy he makes this look. I feel great sadness and have feelings of hurting Reece. i think I will be OK after a cup of tea.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
My headlining is starting to sag too :(
I didn't realise as it's directly above the drivers head but my kids in the back seat said dad what's going on with the roof LOLZ.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've re-trimmed it in suede.
Cost was the same to get someone to do it with not the same as factory fabric, or me to buy some really nice suede and do it myself.

I will be doing a write up on it when it's all done.

The roof is a little thicker than before so maybe that's why this is proving to be so tough to get it back in.
Might try some longer screws for the jesus handles and a new scalpel blade for cutting the fabric on some of the fiddly holes.

This is certainly way harder than my VZ roof to do.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I solved my problem.
I used some tape to hold the handle spacers to the roof lining, and also taped the handles in place.
I changed the screws out for slightly longer ones.

I worked out the sun visor clips can be assembled as a pop in unit (which is surely how the factory must do it.)

Having a slightly thicker foam under the thicker fabric has been super tuff to get this back in as it did before.

If I were to do it again, I'd maybe not foam back it, just get the suede down on the headliner on it's own.

Looks bloody amazing.

Has a few wrinkles in it though due to previous removal damage where the liner was rough handled and had bends in it.

Still, I love the result.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh, and to get the entertainment unit trim back on, you need to drop the screen, then fit the trim on.
I also widened out the clips a bit.

Farnarkle

Reaction score
Members Ride
G8GT
I solved my problem.
I used some tape to hold the handle spacers to the roof lining, and also taped the handles in place.
I changed the screws out for slightly longer ones.

I worked out the sun visor clips can be assembled as a pop in unit (which is surely how the factory must do it.)

Having a slightly thicker foam under the thicker fabric has been super tuff to get this back in as it did before.

If I were to do it again, I'd maybe not foam back it, just get the suede down on the headliner on it's own.

Looks bloody amazing.

Has a few wrinkles in it though due to previous removal damage where the liner was rough handled and had bends in it.

Still, I love the result.

I'd be interested to see pics of the suede...
My roof lining has just started falling off (looks f%#kin awful) so this is a job I'll be doing before long.
The suede sounds like a great idea.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’ll need to upload from the computer. Also found I don’t have any photos with it all fitted, so will get some for you later this morning.

Also did the dash trim spears in suede. Looks the shizz.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
FB204007-9F42-4BF3-9F24-ADB625F04EB8.jpeg
Here is the roof. Previous work on the car has meant the roof lining wasn’t in the best condition. The panel had been bent and creased, so once the suede went on, those parts really showed up.

It has thicker foam backing. I used 5mm from memory. The suede was quite thick too so I’d maybe go as thin a scrim foam as possible if I was to do it again.

This is a Warwick International Black from memory which is actually a dark grey.

Warwick Fabrics do a really nice true black suede with the same pile as that used in the factory lower panels. That is twice the price, but I’d pay it if I was to do it again. Worth every cent.

Once this fricken car is finished, I will do write ups with photos for many of the procedures with each job (including this one) I did because there isn’t much online that covers them.

*All Pilar trims, roof trims and the back parcel tray have also been re-trimmed. As mentioned, I did the dash spears too. Those aren’t installed yet because I’m not ready to reinstall the final interior trims until the car is running again and everything checked.

EDA6CE4A-3D50-4FD5-81D8-A91DE958EDA3.jpeg

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Once this fricken car is finished, I will do write ups with photos for many of the procedures with each job (including this one) I did because there isn’t much online that covers them.

Start a ride thread and we can all watch along as your progress.