Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE (hopeful) mod list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Yeah, probably...

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
I agree mate. You don't have to have a V8, don't listen to these guys.

People were saying the same thing 20 years ago when the V8s had 165kw back in the VR/VS days. The VE SV6 has 210kw and would easily beat the old V8.

Power isn't everything. Be happy with what you have got.

If the guy is happy with a V6 then who cares.

dont listen to what guys? no one said anything about v8s except you and the op.

the op asked for suggestions and feedback, thats exactly what he got.

i dont particularly care what car he owns, but if he wants to build a car to be "different", your run of the mill commodore is the wrong place to start(at least here in australia).

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Paint the interior plastics either fluro pink, purple, green, blue or orange for epic "different". Pick some colour that clashes for the seat trims, put a southern cross sticker on the back window and emboss a holden emblem in the hood lining. Different achieved. :thumbsup:

Wild

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VE Series 2
I did ask for feedback and to be honest I'm happy people are stating their opinions. In the end I'll have the final decision. But I do appreciate everything.

Ron91

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Wagon
I did ask for feedback and to be honest I'm happy people are stating their opinions. In the end I'll have the final decision. But I do appreciate everything.

I've just come off my P's.
And I always said I was going to keep my VE calais and mod that up after I got my full license. 1 week later...there was a SSV sitting in my garage instead. Choices quickly change when it gets time.
Coming from your exact situation, I'll give you my opinion. Don't bother with performance mods. Go visual mods. Make it something to stand out, maybe full vinyl wrap it a custom colour with some wicked custom wheels. Then once you've got your full license, THEN decide if you want an 8 or you'll do performance.

As for brakes, just upgrade the rotors and pads till once again...full license.

Cars are money pits. And I reckon as soon as you get your full license you'll be wanting an 8 and regret the thousands wasted on the sv6.

But....each to there own.

Ps. If it were me, I'd never ever buy a done up holden v6. I wouldn't trust the work done on it to be good enough (even if it was), any joe blow can say it's top quality but how long will it really last before something gives way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akidakix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
I recently purchased my first 8 about 5 months ago, and I always promised myself I wasn't going to spend to much money on it, just small things here and there and leave the engine stock, here we are almost 6 months later and I'm planningnon dropping about 12-13k into the car on performance mods.

I will say this, save your money, and wait until you can get an 8, it'll be the best decision you will make car wise, they are fun to drive, both as an every day car and if you feel like putting the foot down the power is there, in theory doing up a v6 is nice but the money spent to even be on par with a stock 8 is money best spent elsewhere, as the previous poster said, spend your money on visual upgrades.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Doesn't a std SV6 put out 210kw, or is that not at the wheels.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Not at the wheels.... just one wheel. Fly wheel.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Ps. If it were me, I'd never ever buy a done up holden v6. I wouldn't trust the work done on it to be good enough (even if it was), any joe blow can say it's top quality but how long will it really last before something gives way.

That has got to be some of the worst advice I have ever heard! Same thing applies to a V8 as well, not just that but any car that has been done up previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.