Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE HSV Cluster into VE SS 06'

dingdong555

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive
Hey guys.

If I get a 3 window screen VE HSV cluster, does anyone know anyone in Perth where someone can swap it over and change the KM's on the new cluster? Or is there a place I can send the cluster too?

Cheers.

westy27

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Cheers mate,

Do you have a link for the discussion?

evil_ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Tech2 Cannot change the Kms of a cluster,
But you can do this with EEPROM programming.
Also, some Holden Dealers will refuse to fit a HSV cluster to a non HSV vehicle.
(They will spin the usual BS that Tech2 will not let them do it, or Holden refused such sacrilege).

A few people have done this themselves, (MissEnj and Myself are examples)
MsEnj fitted a Calais cluster to her Omega, I have fitted an Omega Cluster, and an E2 HSV Cluster successfully to my CalaisV V8. (I was able to keep ll the HSV cluster options such as the sports shift display, etc),
and was also able to program my original Calais cluster to display the Sport version of the sport shift.
If you wanted to have a crack at this yourself, you will need an EEPROM programmer.

www.carmodder.com • Programming Cluster EEPROMs for the Holden VE Commodore

You will need to set the VIN number on the Cluster, as well as a couple of options to stop the ESP warnings, and to enable the different
Automatic modes (I.E. the 6 speed sport shift mode i different on the Calais / Caprice compared to SS, SSV and HSV models).
This can be configured on the cluster to be whatever you require, (I.E. it is not limited by the transmission fitted).

I have also worked out the calculation for changing the Kms to get the Km roughly within 32Kms of what ever value is required,
However the calculation is very complex, and it is much easier to copy the Km EEPROM locations from your old cluster, to your new one,
rather than trying to set a completely new Km reading.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT !!!
There are two variations of VE Instrument cluster, that appear to be incompatible with each other.
VE Year Models MY06, MY07, MY08, and MY08.5 do not support instrument clusters from MY09 Models and Later.
Likewise it appears the MY09 Models do not support earlier MY06, MY07, MY08 and MY08.5 Instrument Clusters.
The limitation appears to be a GM TECH2 issue, as well as some minor wiring details (such as steering wheel button controls), and as such it is not recommended that late model clusters are fitted to earlier models, and vice versa.

HOW TO IDENTIFY EARLY AND LATE MODEL INSTRUMENT CLUSTERS VE Instrument clusters from Year Models MY06, MY07, MY08 and MY08.5 have a white plastic cover on the back on the instrument cluster.
These instrument clusters are manufactured by Arrow Australia, and are only suitable for early model VE Commodores.

VE Instrument Clusters from MY09, MY10, and Series II Commodores have a black plastic cover on the back of the instrument cluster.
These instrument clusters are manufactured by Continental (VDO), and are only suitable for late model VE Commodores.

There is a way around the above limitation, but it is very very complex, (Much more complex than just messing with EEPROMs).
As far as I know, only 2 people have been able to fit Series II clusters to a Series I....