Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE HSV LS2 or LS3

Unit_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
Hi there,

Looking at purchasing a VE HSV in the near future and was wondering if there's a big difference in getting the LS3 rather then the LS2. I would rather opt for the LS3 powered one but with the price of some of the LS2 ones it's hard to look past them. I know there is a 10 kw difference between the two but that doesn't really mean squat.

I have read the LS3 is better for performance and is alot stronger then the LS2???

Any help would be great.

Cheers

4wheelinls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ralliart
Thats correct. If you are basically happy with the LS3 power but might do extractors and intake then go the LS2. Look at the saving between the two and compare it to what you might spend on upgrading the LS2 to offer superior perfomance to the LS3 in more stock form, a cammed LS2 will offer superior performamce to a stock LS3. A cam fitted and tuned with valve springs will probably set you back 3k-3.5k

Unit_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
Yeah I'm looking at doing a bit of work on the car, full exhaust, cam, otr etc etc and then maybe later on forced induction. Just weighing up to see which one would be the better of the two to get power out of, durability etc. There's not alot of difference in price between them approx 5k ish for a decent one.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
If your looking at spending that sort of money on supercharging then I'd spend a couple of grand and get a ls3.

Andrew pelly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz clubsport, ve ss ute
Afternoon fellow commy fans. I have a question. Ve ss ute 09 l76 ls2. Decent cam, 352 rwkw. I dont have a lot of info on the car when i bought, got it for a steal, 11.5 k. Im a little concerned about engine noise. I understand ls have a noisy valve train and cam and headers will only amplify that. My question is i can hear a very faint knock, nothing too intrusive, but i hear it. Hard to tell where it is coming from. Only audible at very low rpm. Any helps guys would be much appreciated. Cheers

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Afternoon fellow commy fans. I have a question. Ve ss ute 09 l76 ls2. Decent cam, 352 rwkw. I dont have a lot of info on the car when i bought, got it for a steal, 11.5 k. Im a little concerned about engine noise. I understand ls have a noisy valve train and cam and headers will only amplify that. My question is i can hear a very faint knock, nothing too intrusive, but i hear it. Hard to tell where it is coming from. Only audible at very low rpm. Any helps guys would be much appreciated. Cheers
Post a video if you can mate but it doesn’t seem like something to be too concerned with

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

352 rwkw means it's a pretty big cam, and that's always gonna put a lot of stress on the valvetrain.
Is it a knock or a tick?