Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE HSV Taillights

nunny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
According to wheels plastic caps fill the void created by moving the lights 120mm lower. Sounds tacky to me. But haven't seen one in the flesh yet. And I still want one to replace my VT Calais.

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
1991_Vn2nV said:
Its metal...not plastic. The panels are not made out of plastic... :p

You obviously have not seen one in person yet.

Its plastic buddy. Pretty much the whole back of a normal VE is plastic bumper all the way up to the lights. So the bit on the HSVs that used to be light will be replaced by plastic. Just look closely at the rear lights and you will see that it is part of the bumper. I would also like to add that after initially seeing the tailights i didnt like them. But they have seriously grown on me and now I like them. Gotta give em time i think. In contrast after initially seeing the VE (body kit models only) I loved them. However after seeing them everyday now I now think that they are ugly. But I still love the sleeper versions (Omega, berlina, Calais) and think that the Calais V is the best looking new car in a long time. I also love the WM designs and they are growing on me more everyday.

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
Correction. Not part of the bumper but still plastic.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
The way I see it, is that this is the second major step towards HSV having a much more defined line-up, with the first being the move to the LS2, where Holden had the L76 and now L98 (I think those codes are right...). HSV's are no longer just a tuned and kitted Commodore, and the Ausralian Performance Car scene will be much better off because of it. Hopefully, FPV will follow suit one day soon (ok, maybe with the next Falcon body...). Competition is good for consumers!

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
I have some bad news for the perfectionists out there after seeing them in real life.

At certain angles you can tell the caps on the lights are different to the rest of the car. The colours are slightly different shaeds in certain conditions (similar to how the petrol cap in the VY-VZs looked different to the rest of car), i dont know if its because of the plastic vs metal or what, but i did notice it. I also noticed some of the panels didnt line up perfectly (around the rear mainly), hopefully they sort that out amd it was just the demo cars we saw.

The rear lights also fogged up (had been washed earlier in the day and had moisture in the taillights), that happened on all of the cars there, not just one or two so that's a big problem they need to fix (again, hopefully it was just these 'demo' cars)

I also LOVE the taillights, when they are turned on they look amazing and just make it all worth while, the backlight-type glow they have is just stunnning and i fell in love instantly.

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
nunny said:
But apparently a fourtune was spent (millions) relocating the taillights on the HSV model.
$3million to be exact.

And as i said above, well worth every penny.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Pics the HSV's taillights look ****, In the flesh they look ****en great top job they did big bulls it takes to do something like that clap clap;).

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I've grown to like them.

Last edited:

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
sixshooter said:
I reckon Holden designers need a bullet ! The Ve is the worst looking car Holden has ever made !

Im assuming your a pretty big Holden fan. Have you TRIED to make it grow on you. I know that if I hate an CD the first time I usually play it a few more time to try to make it grow on me. If I still dont like it after a few listens then I know its no good. I can see where someone is coming from when they say that they dont like the look of them. Especially the models with body kits. There are some angles on the models with kits that I just stand there and say, gee that looks gross. Have you looked at a Calais V. I struggle to find anything average about the look of that car. No matter what angle.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
drewins said:
Im assuming your a pretty big Holden fan. Have you TRIED to make it grow on you. I know that if I hate an CD the first time I usually play it a few more time to try to make it grow on me. If I still dont like it after a few listens then I know its no good. I can see where someone is coming from when they say that they dont like the look of them. Especially the models with body kits. There are some angles on the models with kits that I just stand there and say, gee that looks gross. Have you looked at a Calais V. I struggle to find anything average about the look of that car. No matter what angle.

I must admit I didn't like the tail lights on the VR/S when they first appeared...that has grown on me.

Last edited: