Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE HVAC actuator replacement.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s possible one of the flaps inside is obstructed. Inspection with
A cheap borescope down the vents is about the only way to see.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline & VE SS Wagon
@Stuey81 , did you get the issue resolved? I have exactly the same issue where all actuators work fine in the relearn mode, but it keeps throwing DTC#B0253 which indicates the actuator on the drivers side needs to be replaced. I purchased a new actuator and plugged it in and it does exactly the same thing as the original one.

yeah I did mate. At my wits end I took it to holden for diagnoses, turns out all the actuators were fine, and it was a rod that goes inside the hvac centre stack that had come off. You couldn’t see it and I never would have found it. All the linkages were attached as far as I could see, but it was actually inside the unit somewhere. I paid 2 hours labour and when I came back it was fixed, they even topped up the oil in the AC compressor, and threw new gas in it for me for no extra charge. Everything has been 100% fine since, and I use the car everyday.

Matty72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
yeah I did mate. At my wits end I took it to holden for diagnoses, turns out all the actuators were fine, and it was a rod that goes inside the hvac centre stack that had come off. You couldn’t see it and I never would have found it. All the linkages were attached as far as I could see, but it was actually inside the unit somewhere. I paid 2 hours labour and when I came back it was fixed, they even topped up the oil in the AC compressor, and threw new gas in it for me for no extra charge. Everything has been 100% fine since, and I use the car everyday.
Thanks Mate,

Gives me some more options to explore, other than that it's going to have to go to Holden.

cjxxii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SV6
I am having HVAC issues with 2012 VE S2 SV6.

Randomly when I turn the car on the aircon will get stuck blowing air to the feet or windscreen only, and will not change position no matter what I do with the air conditioning controls. Air is still cold/hot and fan control speed still works, it is just the direction of the air that is stuck.
However, if I simply turn the car off and then back on (quickly) then the the aircon will go back to working perfectly again. Alternatively if I do not want to turn the car off and back on again, I can do a vent relearn with the car still running and that will fix the problem.

The strange thing is that the issue where the air gets stuck blowing to the feet or windscreen is temperamental and only occurs sometimes (but I'd say on average it happens 50% of the time). I have not been able to find a pattern as to when it will occur - it just happens at complete random. The only thing I have been able to deduce is that it seems to only occur once the car has been off for at least a few minutes.

Has anyone come across this same issue before?
Is it likely to be an actuator issue? I cannot hear any clicking or concerning noises coming from the actuators during the learning process. If it was an actuator issue then I imagine it would be the drivers side actuator which controls the face vent. Is there any way of being able to determine which actuator is faulty (if at all)?.

Originally I thought it could be a faulty HVAC module which is not delivering the signal to the actuators, but again, am not sure.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride

Randomly when I turn the car on the aircon will get stuck blowing air to the feet or windscreen only, and will not change position no matter what I do with the air conditioning controls. Air is still cold/hot and fan control speed still works, it is just the direction of the air that is stuck.
However, if I simply turn the car off and then back on (quickly) then the the aircon will go back to working perfectly again. Alternatively if I do not want to turn the car off and back on again, I can do a vent relearn with the car still running and that will fix the problem.

The strange thing is that the issue where the air gets stuck blowing to the feet or windscreen is temperamental and only occurs sometimes (but I'd say on average it happens 50% of the time). I have not been able to find a pattern as to when it will occur - it just happens at complete random. The only thing I have been able to deduce is that it seems to only occur once the car has been off for at least a few minutes.

Is it likely to be an actuator issue? I cannot hear any clicking or concerning noises coming from the actuators during the learning process. If it was an actuator issue then I imagine it would be the drivers side actuator which controls the face vent. Is there any way of being able to determine which actuator is faulty (if at all)?.

Originally I thought it could be a faulty HVAC module which is not delivering the signal to the actuators, but again, am not sure.

The only thing I can say is the drivers side actuator (the one that’s a son of a bitch to replace) is the one that controls airflow direction.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Do the simplest thing first, do a master reset by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes.

cjxxii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SV6
Do the simplest thing first, do a master reset by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes.

I gave that a go but unfortunately that did not fix the problem

Rallyrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr
No heat out of drivers side (2007 Calais DZ HVAC) : I just replaced the lower drivers side actuator to fix this. When in learn mode could see the spindle wasn't rotating was the clue. Of note, I purchased an actuator and everything that I read indicated all the actuators were the same , which is partly correct. The one I purchased was identical to the top actuator. For the lower heat control actuator, the spindle which slots into the heater box comes out the opposite of the housing. Was able to open the case of the new actuator and flip the spindle shaft over.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Stuey81 , did you get the issue resolved? I have exactly the same issue where all actuators work fine in the relearn mode, but it keeps throwing DTC#B0253 which indicates the actuator on the drivers side needs to be replaced. I purchased a new actuator and plugged it in and it does exactly the same thing as the original one.

Sorry for the delay in replying, but YES! i did manage to find the issue. It turned out all the actuators were fine and working perfectly. Apparently one of the rods that goes into the HVAC centre ducting had popped off, so when the car went through its relearn process, it wasnt actually moving the thing inside that it was supposed to, even though visually you could see the actuator go through its full range of motion, and the lever it was connected to moving as it should.

So the actuator was good, the lever it was connected to was moving, but out of sight, the thing the lever actually rotated had popped off.

I asked the guy at Holden for their best gun mechanic, and im glad they provided me with him, as i never would have found it, and neither would some first year apprentice mechanic. When your paying $160 an hour for diagnosis, you want a pro on the job.

So yeah, its all working great now.

Holden1412

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Digging up an old thread, I’ve got a ve ss with dual zone. I’ve checked all the actuators and they go through the movements when doing a relearn, but the problem I’m having is that the drivers side aircon won’t get cold but will get hot when chosen. I’ve done a fair bit of reading on this problem but am pretty stumped on this one