Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE HVAC System Info

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Because they didn’t have enough tension on the belt, [the S2's have an additional pulley]
Where the S1's can vibrate when the clutch activates, wears the belt so it will slip, becomes more lose, and then snap....
Is the additional pulley a bolt on retrofit for the series 1, or is it simply not worth the effort since it could be easier to periodically check the belt?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Is the additional pulley a bolt on retrofit for the series 1, or is it simply not worth the effort since it could be easier to periodically check the belt?

There was a 'kit' available from Holden for warranty claims. It was a couple of pulleys with a cast bracket.
I'm sure there is a pic of the bits in this forum somewhere.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

It is definatly worth it, applies the correct amount of tension to the belt[ top and bottom]
stops any vibration and the belt will last a lot longer, same life as the main belt,
I know because I have just changed both belts on my car, as I noticed small cracks in the ribs of both belts when I replaced the Alternator recently.

I have attached a photo I have just taken.

Attachments

• VE S2 V8 L77 Air Con Pullys.jpg
    VE S2 V8 L77 Air Con Pullys.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

Quentin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0 V
Found this on Carsales.
Thought it might be interesting for some.
Also sometimes stuff like this is deleted and lost so handy info to save for prosperity.

Source:
https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/ve-under-the-skin-keeping-its-cool-1341/

VE under the skin: keeping its cool
Holden has built a VE Commodore for all climes -- from the Sahara to the Arctic Circle

View attachment 208623

*** My edit *** note the under seat ducts. I don't think any Aussie cars have these. This is not a Statesman HVAC system with the facia fitted to the the setup. These ports are there, but blanked off.
Interesting none the less.

The new VE Commodore gave Holden engineers the opportunity to start again with the Commodore's underbonnet cooling and air-conditioning hardware and the cabin's heating, ventilation and air-conditioning system (HVAC) it supports.

Holden compares the interior packaging of VE HVAC components to a Swiss watch after they played a key role in freeing-up space. Underbonnet advances have not only boosted cooling but reduced weight, improved efficiency and slashed heater warm-up times.

After becoming the leader in the GM world with its pioneering high temperature work in the Middle East, Holden has consolidated this achievement (via intensive development in no less than eight different climatic tunnels in Australia, North America and Japan) to include extreme cold. Unlike previous Holden validation programs which wre limited to -5 degrees C, the VE meets GM's global standard of -20.

The program has already included a 6000km climate control validation trip in the USA that covered the full range of North American climate extremes. Two extended desert proving ground tests at GM proving ground at Mesa, Arizona involved sustained cruising at 250km/h under extreme (high) temperatures.

The improvements in the VE include:

Cooling System
• Holden has switched from the traditional Commodore cross-flow radiator to down flow. The top and bottom radiator tanks now match the full width of the radiator and are no longer restricted to radiator height as previously. The transmission cooler in the bottom tank grows from the VZ's 290mm to 450mm for a huge lift in cooling capacity.
• A new power steering cooler is installed in the bottom row of the air-conditioning condenser for a similar boost in cooling capacity and a 20 per cent reduction in fluid temperatures during power-steering abuse testing.
• The V6 models have a 24mm radiator core while the V8 is boosted to 40mm.
• Twin puller fans with new blade designs provide 70 per cent coverage of the radiator core compared to 55 per cent for the VZ. These new fans exploit new airflow distribution based on computational fluid dynamics that optimize a path into the engine bay then under.
• Radiator cooling fans for the V6 models now have three speeds. Although the V8 continues with two speeds, the fan design is all new.
• A new radiator cap design with two O-ring seals separates the sealing function from the pressure relief valve so that sealing is not disturbed when the pressure relief valve opens and shuts.
• The new Condenser Radiator Fan Module (radiator, condenser and fans) is supplied by Behr, South Africa, a manufacturer which also supplies BMW.
• Coolant is a new premium long life specification. A large and easily accessed radiator drain plug allows fast draining and capture of the coolant without contamination during repairs for re-use and environmental safety.
• The standard cooling system does not require any upgrades for the 2100kg tow pack, highlighting the big margin for everyday usage.

View attachment 208622

Air-conditioning
• An all-new air-conditioning condenser features an integrated receiver-drier that forms one of the vertical ends of the condenser. A novel radiator tilt function allows access to the internals of this fixed receiver-drier for easy periodic replacement. Previous systems rely on a separate throwaway part hanging-off fragile plumbing that can fatigue and leak. This breakthrough along with other efficiencies cut the amount of refrigerant charge by 27 per cent compared to VZ with environmental and cost benefits.
• A new light weight air-conditioning compressor features clutchless operation usually only seen on European luxury cars. Unlike a clutch-type which is on or off, this latest compressor design has seamless operation with infinitely variable displacement. It can ramp up or down tailoring the exact refrigerant flow for conditions thus requiring 10-30 per cent less fuel at lower temperatures. Holden claims these are real world fuel savings which won't show up in current fuel consumption standards when they do not factor in air-conditioner usage.
• Cabin controls now activate electric HVAC operation to change modes compared to vacuum servos in the VZ. These are quieter and more reliable.
• A straight airflow path from the evaporator reduces noise, increases airflow and delivers more effective dual zone performance where fitted.
• Owners can now specify a dealer-fit pollen filter.

Heating/Ducting
• New Alloytec V6 engines reduced warm-up times significantly in VZ. The latest VE heater core design improves warm-up rate by a further 15-20 per cent.
• The base VE Omega features nine ducts compared to five in the base VZ.
• Previous VZ centre rear vents supplied cool air only but new VE ducting can now supply warm air as well. Caprice has additional foot level vents for rear passengers.
• Face level and lower heating modes when engaged together will split into upper cooling air/lower warmer air automatically once the cabin reaches the pre-set temperature.
• Side window demist has individual ducts for the first time.
• Cold climate heating and demisting has been optimized with a 38 per cent boost in airflow while in defrost/demist mode.
• Linear fan control delivers 20 fan speeds compared to four in base VZ air-conditioning or five in VZ climate control systems.

View attachment 208624
I found with my VE 6.0 Sportswagon that on the open road (Geraldton-Carnarvon Wa, 473km) the air con would freeze up and not blow a candle out, resulting in driving at 40 degrees cabin temp. There is a fault rectification publication that details how to move the temperature sensor (located centrally behind the stereo etc) about 2 inches so as to make it a bit less sensitive. Necessitates removal of glovebox to access. Since I have done this I have had no further dramas. I'll try and find the "how to" publication and upload. Cheers, Quentin.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s on the adair website.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
VE Commodore with Wrong selection on Vents (Mainly Missing Face Vents.

I will put this here as I think this is VERY Important for VE Owners that has this Issue and dont want to spend $1000 or more change the HVAC+ The Facia + Head Unit, THE BCM and other to fix this FRUSTRATING ISSUE.
Read Below:

Well the VE V6 Anniversary has had 22 Starts in the last week or so and The Vents on the Air Con have preformed without a issue. For the First time I can say It not repaired but we have a way of getting around this issue where when you select the FACE Vents and no air come out 1 in 5 times (sometimes worst) whenever you start the car and when you need cold air on your face NOTHING COMES OUT and this alone is very frustrating.
To Fix this issue I have used a working HVAC Module from another VE that works Perfect on that car, I also have used a Facia from the Working car that works good on the car that is effected with the face vents not working but it still fails So what I did I put the original HVAC and The Radio Facia back on and done this ::::
VE Commodore Series 1 and 2, tested on Single Zone but could work on a Dual Zone
Before you turn the car off you do.
1/ Leave the Vents Selector set to FEET ONLY, Yes Feet Only
2/ Turn the Air Con off either Hot or Cold. My VE its the middle button for series 1 Anniversary or Omega, when you turn the air con off the LED goes out.
3/ Then I turn the Fan off which seems to be the Main switch.

4/ Now the next day or later, the same day you want the use the car and the air con, so what you do when you get into the car you check to see if the vent selector is still in the position of feet only, put the keys in the ignition, start the car, start the fans on any speed you want, turn the Air Con on and finally select/change the vents from the feet to the face and you are away and when you are finished with the car dont forget to put the Vents to FEET ONLY.
Now I have to thank Membermikeryantipp as he was the one to find this combination to get this outcome as I tried at least 10 other combinations and in all case the combination FAILED but this combo leaving the Vents set to FEET ONLY its perfect to get around this issue.
After this I can put My Glove box Back. Yepeeeeee

Also Member mikeryantipp leaves the fan ON and sometime the Airc Con on Too.
The Main thing to do is LEAVE THE SELECTOR FOR THE VENT TO FEET ONLY BEFORE YOU TURN THE ENGINE OFF.
Well it been over one year since I had this issue that no air on my face from the face vents and I can report that all is good AS LONG AS I DONT KEEP THE VENTS ON FACE WHEN I turn the Engine off but even now and then I forgot and when I start the car and Select Air Con I have no air on my Face Gruuuuu. All I do is select feet only, turn the Engine off, pull the key out, open the door, Stay seated, close the door, start the car and start the air con or leave it on it does not care, then last I select from feet to face and bingo I have air cold air on my face. Unbelievable in my entire life I have never heard of any thing like this.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Well it been over one year since I had this issue that no air on my face from the face vents and I can report that all is good AS LONG AS I DONT KEEP THE VENTS ON FACE WHEN I turn the Engine off but even now and then I forgot and when I start the car and Select Air Con I have no air on my Face Gruuuuu. All I do is select feet only, turn the Engine off, pull the key out, open the door, Stay seated, close the door, start the car and start the air con or leave it on it does not care, then last I select from feet to face and bingo I have air cold air on my face. Unbelievable in my entire life I have never heard of any thing like this.

Gosh the planets must be aligning for the pair of us mate because I'm just beginning to have this issue myself! The dreaded clicky HVAC wiper module.

Worst part is too is that I have an aftermarket headunit in my car so the calibration process is going to be... Interesting, to say the least.