Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve immobiliser problem. Weird?

VE Mik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ser2 Calais V 6.0
Hi
Last night I changed the battery in my key fob, the car (2011 ve calais) will lock and unlock using the remote however when I tried to start the car this morning it failed to start. I get a message on the screen that the vehicle is immobilised and to refer to manual.
It’s strange that I can remotely lock and unlock the car but it won’t start.
I used my spare key and it started immediately.
Would anyone know what the issue would be and has this happened to anybody else?
What did you do to fix it

VE Mik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ser2 Calais V 6.0
Update,
After driving the car down the shops and back using the spare key I got home and tried the key that would not work and presto!!! It works again.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I have read about that happening elsewhere, as it needs another Key [with a transponder chip] to recognise the Second Key again,
Some people have said you can program in a new Key doing something similar, but not sure how accurate that is,
but it is a bit weird how it started working again.
I changed the battery in my everyday key remote, being the signal appeared to be deteriorating, so one would assume it was a flat battery, and it didn't fix it,
and I had to be within 1 meter of rear my car.
[being the receiver is located in behind the plastic moulding of the back door head lining on the Sportwagon].
Where my spare [flip] Key still worked perfectly.
I decided to get a completed replacement Key [everyday Key] in the end,
as it was a bit worn, as I had been using it for 6 years, I got it cut by code from a Locksmith in QLD [found them on eBay], got it in the [snail] mail after 5 days,
programmed it in with my diagnostic unit, all back to normal now, and works up to 50m away again.

VE Mik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ser2 Calais V 6.0
Yeah right, I’ve changed the battery before and it didn’t do this. All I did was put a new keypad and casing on. That shouldn’t effect its operation cause it’s just a swapover,
The damn thing did it again today

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I would say it's the transponder chip in the key head,
I had the issue with my new everyday key, I was forgetting one step,
But this is not in your case, but similar to what my new key was doing.

When it worked last time, how long after did you wait to use the key with the replaced battery ?, best to wait a least a minute, so the immobiliser can re-activate.
The best way to test it is the transponder chip, start with your key that does work.
Process of elimination.

User the key that works first
  1. Lock and unlock the car
  2. Try and start the car, did the car start and run correctly ?
  3. Now lock the car.
Now use the key you replaced the battery,
Making sure the key that does work is NOT within 100mm of the ignition switch
(best the place good key on the passengers seat)
do the same again
  2. Try and start the car, did the car start and run correctly ?, or start, and then stopped after 5 seconds with the immobiliser error on the dash ?
  3. Now lock the car with that key

Now try your original key.
  2. Try and start the car, it should of started ok.

If above is correct, I would say the transponder chip in the key head is faulty,

In a flip key, they are to the right of the key hinge (at the front of the key)
In a non flip key, they are down the left side of the long part of the key head, (where the flip key would normally fold in) and if it's a genuine Holden key, they are surrounded (stuck in) with resin.
And are non replaceable, if you get a new key head, make sure you get one with a transponder chip, you will need to get it cut, and get the new transponder chip programmed to the car.
Hope this helps.

Last edited: