Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Interior Dome Light

Reckless_Kid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 11 Sportwagon Equip (LPG)
Hi All,

I have just purchased a Series 11 Sports Wagon Equip, great car and loving it. I want to upgrade the rear passenger interior dome light which is currently a plain single globe. I have kids that like to read on long trips but I cant drive at night with the dome light on. Is there a higher spec VE model with a rear interior light that has individual map reading lights incorprated into it? I have trawled wreckers, GM spare parts and eBay but it doesnt look like there is an easy upgrade. Can anyone advise me of what options there are?. I have sourced a front dome/map light console, just cant find a rear one.! Cheers

velj

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve sv6 ute
Maybe just get some sort of led and hardware it in? My dads old merc had them in the back were really good, maybe get something out of another car if you can't ind them?

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
The rear DVD player from a Calais has map lights installed but it's a very expensive to buy for map lights

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
I think hsv, Calais And the Calais v have the map reading lights.
Series I Calais v have the overhead DVD player, so the map lights may be alibi toe bit different on these models, (though I don't think so)
The hardest part is the wiring, as the electrical plug is different (but the constant power line should be there.

velj

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve sv6 ute
Couldn't he just splice it? Or solder it

Reckless_Kid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 11 Sportwagon Equip (LPG)
Thanks everyone. I have checked out the overhead DVD console from a Calais V with the map reading lights incorporated, however the shape of the actual dome/map light component is diferent to an independant dome light, ie it's a defined rectangle rather than a rectangle with rounded corners and doesnt have the same mounting into the hood liner, so wont retrofit. Any other ideas? Can anyone confirm if there as an independant rear dome/map light in an HSV or others? Cheers.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
915a3fce255d99f9_book_lights.jpg

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
A Non V series Calais would probaly be your best bet, as I am pretty sure they have the rear passenger map lights, and dont have the overhead console...

stubec16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe Sportswagon LPG
One option is to install the front dome/map light combo, and just remove the front dome globe/s. The front can still be lit with the map lights and the interior light switch will only turn on the rear dome. -if you can do without door activated front light of course. Other idea is to splice in a sepearate switch for the rear dome.