Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE International Suspension Upgrade

jmaramis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International
Hi all
I just purchased an Intenational 3.0 SIDI. I would appreciate advice on a cost effective suspension upgrade to improve handling. Nothing too radical, just getting it to handle like say an SV6.
Thanks

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Nothing too radical, just getting it to handle like say an SV6.

firstly, congrats on purchase!

secondly, I think you can do better than sv6 handling!
FE2 suspension is better thanyour stock equipment, but not by much. that's why you'll see A LOT of FE2 suspension being sold (or given away) online, as most who want better handling get aftermarket suspension anyway.

more info required from you though....
a) got a budget you want to stick to?
b) when you say handling, what part of "handling" would you like to improve? do you want more responsive turning, or better stability through the turn, or maybe even just something that looks better?

By comparing your goal to "handle like an SV6", a simple spring and shock upgrade will do the trick and surpass standard SV6 running gear no problem.
My advice?
If you arent looking to lower the car very much (no more than 2-3cm), then the standard brand new shocks dont need changing. Put in Pedders SportsRyders (do a search to see what height you like). That'll be about $600 fitted and with re-alignment.
Are you planning on getting different wheels, or just sticking with the stock ones?
Lower profile tyres will also aid in handling, albeit at some sacrifice to ride comfort (minimal).

Welcome to the 3L SIDI club :). What body shape did you get btw?

jmaramis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International
Thanks for the advice. How will just changing the springs to sportsryders with stock shocks compare to an FE2 setup? I just want to firm it up a little as it has too much body roll.

It is the 3.0 sedan international with 18 inch wheels.

Gambel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Wagon
Whiteline sway bars and strut brace will help that body roll, pedders also do them. About $1000 fitted depending on workshop.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
well really...cost effective solution would be King or Lovells springs "Low" - 30mm lower than stock and decent shocks that don't cost a fortune i.e. KYB

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner

azzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY 9.5 SSV Sportswagon M6 & 08 prado D4D GXL M6
I went from fe2 to pedders sportsrider it dropped it about 25mm and it handles and rides better. I only changed the springs running original rims (19's) and shocks the look alone is worth it as they sit WAY to high. It goes over speed humps with out scraping anything well worthwile imo.
Cheers.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Thanks for the advice. How will just changing the springs to sportsryders with stock shocks compare to an FE2 setup? I just want to firm it up a little as it has too much body roll.

Step by step if you arent sure how far you wanna go. Springs, then maybe shocks (I still reckon for the small change in height the stock shocks are perfectly fine- I havent hit the bump stops once on teh standard shocks with lowered suspension. Not once).
To be honest I reckon you'll be happy just with the SportsRyders.... but then if you still feel you are getting too much body roll, your next point of call is swaybars like Gambel said.
The firmer spring rate in the Sportsryders will give you a tighter feel on the road, but the only way to get rid of body roll properly is swaybars. At that stage you'll also want to get the bushes changed too... that'll make the initial response more snappy as well.

Wogboyz suggested coilovers.... but take that as a tongue in check comment- waaaaaaaaayyyyy too much overkill right there :). Plus I'm seriously doubting you want to spend thousands just yet ;).