Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Super_Sonic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Sportwagon
Hey guys,

So I've recently picked up a 08 VE Commodore with 130ks on the clock for a fairly good price.
I downgraded from my VF2 Wagon so we could get one of the new Acadias which are on run out!

I miss the Tech and Dual Zone Climate Control from my VF so have been exploring options to add into the VE.

Now, I first came across this 'how to' to get a series 2 headunit with Dual zone in the series 1:
https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/holden/ve-commodore/holden-iq-headunit-conversion/

I've got a replacement unit all lined up for about $500 NZ from a local wrecker but am worried about the VIN activation.

But then I came across these Kayhan Audio units (which look awesome!!):
https://kayhanaudio.com.au/product/holden-commodore-ve-series-2/

I know there are series 1 Kayhan units available but I'm really keen on adding in the Dual Zone as well.

From what I can see, I'll need the following from a series 2 (see pic attached):
Screenshot_20200402-233616_Samsung Internet.jpg

My question is,
1) has anyone done this mod before?
2) Am I missing anything from my parts list above
3) Will the Dual zone work on the new Kayhan headunit with the modded HVAC controller.

Any feedback/advice before I go shopping lol??

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
1: Envyous Customs sells Series 2 IQ conversion kits, so you'd basically be getting everything in their kits bar the head unit and fascia, as you've mentioned.

2: That unit looks great, but you may also want to add an amplifier to your build as well. Not knocking the stock amps, but these chinese units don't nessicarily deliver the best quality sound from the stock cable outs, and the internal amp is a bit lacklustre, at least for my liking. It's better to use the RCA outs and wire those into the harness they provide you in the head unit kit. I use one of Sony's compact 4ch 75Wx4 amps and it does the job just fine, but any quality Class D amp will do the trick. Sony, Pioneer, etc.

3: It should do, although I would check with Envyous just in case. Basically these units communicate with your HVAC model via GMLan on the Low Speed 33KHz bus. I have one of the Dig Options Series 1 single zone units with tactile HVAC controls (the full screen ones with digital HVAC controls suck complete balls), and it works an absolute treat. Cheap too.

I'd also invest in a few apps and other goodies for your HU.

You should get Headunit Reloaded and run a USB Cable from one of the two included USB ports on the head unit to the centre console. Headunit Reloaded is also a paid app, but it's definitely worth it. What does it do? it emulates Android Auto, of course! Essentially it allows your head unit to work as a GStreamer reciever (Which is the protocol used for Android Auto) and automatically runs AA as if it was on a regular head unit.

Torque is also something i'd recommend. Use a WiFi OBDII Dongle as the Bluetooth in these units is softlocked to only pair with phones and music devices. The stock apps built into these units almost never connects to your car properly.

Also invest in one of the AM/FM Amplifiers they sell. The stock units have an amp built in, and these head units, essentially being a Chinese PX6 android head unit in a nicer fascia, have really crap antenna preamps in them. They're like about $10 on eBay, well worth it if you use the radio often.

The standalone GPS in these isn't too bad, but Google Maps is superior by far, so if you intend on never using AA, i'd also suggest getting a 4G hotspot added to your plan. There is a 4G card available for these, but it's not designed for Australian bands, so you'll need to use WiFi and a hotspot. Alternatively, do what I do and use the hotspot on your phone.