Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Key (new style)

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
As some are aware (some may not be) the Original VE key rubber was a very poor design and after only a few months the key pad was falling apart.
Now for those of you who are interested and because a few ppl have asked for this b4, here is the new style rubber.
The original had a softer rubber and the symbols were painted white but it wore off
The rubber also makes the key a bit thicker.
Not the best pic but you get the idea

Attachments

• ve key.JPG
    ve key.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,382

VZTHUNDER

Enhanced Custom Tuned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder MY06
when was this design brang in? my folks got a VE a few months ago and it has that key

efryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 3.6 Auto
when was this design brang in? my folks got a VE a few months ago and it has that key

My VE was registered July 2007, and I have the older key (e.g. does not look like the photograph).

My key, is looking pretty bad after only 6 months. The plastic is depressed on each button, and I can't see it lasting more than another 6-12 months....

Regards
Bob

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
Take it to your dealer and tell them to fix it
This is the original key with the upgraded rubber in it.
That was the problem with the original keys was that it was depressed and looking really bad after only a few months.
I'm actually quite surprised it made production it was fairly obvious to me after only a few months the keys were not going to last I would have thought this would have been picked up in testing.

welly01

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
ive just purchased a late 06 model ve ssv .. and noticed the key fob was looking a bit shabby also.. even though it has very few k,s on the clock.

are you saying holden will will replace the keyfob at no charge ?

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
They just replace the rubber in the fob
Its a warranty issue so they will fix it.
If they don't then demand it.
I have heard if you don't ask for it to be replaced they wont replace it though.

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
I just got my Calais in Dec '07 so I would have the latest key style, the keypad looks like it is made to come away from the rest of the key section in one big piece probably for replacing the battery!!

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
i was up at the dealer one day for work and they said to fella being served to bring the keys in to have them changed for free <(haha isnt that nice of them)

ronaldw, the key head splits in half and the battery slides into a slot, so to replace the batterys it cost $3 for both your keys, its part of the service every 45km