Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Key Remotes that slowly deteriorate transmit range

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
06/11/2018
Dear Members, Just wondering if anyone has a similar issue with VE Key Remotes that recently have had.
Recently my day to day Key Remote [Key 2 - non flip key] started to slowly deteriorate transmit range, I did the usual and changed the battery, using a new one, and that didn't work, so I installed another new battery, and the same result.
I decided to use my spare Key [Key 1 - flip key] and works ok, and the range has not deteriorated, so its not a receiver range issue with the BMC.
I have a Autel Unit [Automotive Diagnostic Unit] and decided and delete the Keys from my BMC, and reprogrammed them in again, I was able to program them in ok, and both start the car ok, but I still have the same problem, Key 1 is working ok, but Key 2 still doesn't work till I am with in 2 metres of my car. Anyone else had an issue like this ?.

Out of Frustration, Yesterday I purchased a new Key Remote from a Locksmith advertising on eBay and got it cut [pre-cut via code] and that should arrive in the next few days, I will program that in, and see how that goes and update the thread with the result.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Never had a issue

Even though i have replacement batteries when I changed the keypad rubbers, i get about a 80-90 metre range

Im impressed with the range actually

Could be a dying key, not unheard of and probably good you did the right thing and got a replacement

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dear Members, As I mentioned the Original Key [non flip key] signal deteriorated, I did the usual and changed the battery twice and still the same result.
I ordered a New VE 2 Button Remote online [non flip key], Took it to my Locksmith, they Cut the blade by Code,
I programmed it into the my Car and works perfectly.
New Key works at least 50m away.

Last edited:

Happydaze

Happydaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE T30
I got a remote start kit with long range remotes. 2 birds with one stone.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Dear Members, As I mentioned the Original Key [non flip key] signal deteriorated, I did the usual and changed the battery twice and still the same result.
I ordered a New VE 2 Button Remote online [non flip key], Took it to my Locksmith, they Cut the blade by Code,
I programmed it into the my Car and works perfectly.
New Key works at least 50m away.
As I mentioned the Original Key [non flip key] signal deteriorated, I did the usual and changed the battery twice and still the same result.

Its interesting how the key stopped slowly working so is quite unusual

interesting to know

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I have a Autel Unit [Automotive Diagnostic Unit] and decided and delete the Keys from my BMC, and reprogrammed them in again, I was able to program them in ok, and both start the car ok, but I still have the same problem, Key 1 is working ok, but Key 2 still doesn't work till I am with in 2 metres of my car.

Does your Autel tool have a function to check the RF output on a key fob?
I have an Autel TPMS tool that has the function.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Does your Autel tool have a function to check the RF output on a key fob?
I have an Autel TPMS tool that has the function.

Hi Imoengnr, I don't think it does, I haven't really checked, you got me thinking now, I will have a look on the weekend, but I do know I don't have the TPMS on my VE, but I was able the access the remote receiver thats has that option listed.

icetechaus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SPORTSWAGON
If there is a dust or moisture build up on the electronics in the key fob it can degrade the transmission strength.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
If there is a dust or moisture build up on the electronics in the key fob it can degrade the transmission strength.

I checked that when I replaced the battery under a magnifying glass in the event the tracks were not damaged, and gave it a spray with "CRC Contact Cleaner" to make sure it was nice and clean before I re-assembled it, I sort of knew it was the Transmitter, as my original GM Flip Key [I never have used] works perfectly.
So I put it down to the Transmitter was failing, my replacement Non-Flip Day to Day key works perfectly, I will probably ditch the electronics and just buy a Transmitter, and assemble it with the old Original Key Blade and keep it as a spare with the Flip Key.