Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE L98 Sump Removal?

pedroc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
So I managed to punch a hole in my sump and am wondering if anyone can tell me weather ill be able to remove the sump and replace it without pulling the engine out?
Car is a 2007 VE SS Ute.
Any advise much appreciated.
Cheers

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i done mine bout 12 months ago was absolute PITA, if u have a hoist u can prob drop the k frame a bit would be way easier, other wise u have to lift the engine up at the right angle so the sump can go low enough to get the pickup out then it can slide out clearing the power steering at the front

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Can be done with engine in car loosen engine ounts and jack up engine chock it and remove sump, its a **** job but can b done

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
As said undo lower engine mount nuts jack engine up and put a couple of sockets between mounts and subframe.

pedroc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Thanks for the advise guys, decided it was probably a job for a professional. I managed to source a second hand sump and got a mechanic round to do the changeover(all on Christmas Eve!) Just one issue, the replacement sump didn’t have a hole in it for the dipstick- the old one did?? Only found this out once the old sump was off and the new one was about to go on. I told old mate to crack on and fit it anyway. Apart from not being able to check how much oil is in there, am I risking anything else? I figure that whenever the check oil warning comes up I’ll just top her up a bit.
I will have to look at getting it sorted, but for the time being I’m dipstickless!

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Some engines dipstick goes through block, some through sump.

pedroc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Some engines dipstick goes through block, some through sump.
Ricey, would you know what will be the easier/cheaper option for getting a dipstick put in??
Cheers

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Changing sump haha