Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE L98 Xforce Headers & 3" Hi-Flow Cats - Tune needed?

Injected304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V L98
Hi, I'm looking to install 1 7/8 headers and 3" cats (see pic below) and reading from the multiple forums there seem to be many different opinions as to whether a tune is required. I am planning on running an OTR and getting a tune, however I'd prefer to do that later down the track. I'm wondering, would I be okay running a full exhaust for the time being? Im not too fussed about engine lights etc but I don't want to cause any damage. Car is otherwise stock aside from a 3" catback. Any info or advice would be appreciated!
images.jpeg-1.jpg

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It will run without a tune, but you will get an engine light. Won't cause any damage.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Have the same L98 but in the VZ.
Did the same with a full exhaust then got a tune a bit later on.
Rear O2 sensors will pretty much bring up codes as the cats won't be doing what the standard tune is expecting.
So youll either put up with seeing a powertrain code, or youll have a best friend in a obd2 scanner to clear them every few drives.

Injected304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V L98
Thankyou both, i have an OBD2 scanner and I'm planning on getting a tune a bit later on anyways. Engine lights never phased me!

LsBeema

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bmw E36 L98
Hi. Did you get the tune done..? I read about a ls2 cam and milling the heads work well in a L98...but i might just get a tune too...any specs

Injected304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V L98
Hi. Did you get the tune done..? I read about a ls2 cam and milling the heads work well in a L98...but i might just get a tune too...any specs
I ended up doing the tune and install at the same time for piece of mind. Car works great no error codes!