Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve lowered shocks for 20inch rims

alba81

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Calais ve v
Hi guys I lowered my car at a local suspension place with king springs and he installed kyb shocks I wasn't sure what he was gonna use he just installed what he recommended when it came to the shocks but my ride is to bumby for me obviously the shocks are crap cause they don't suit 20 inch wheels I'm gonna change the shocks again can anyone recommend me the right shocks for 20inch wheels the cars only lowered about 50mm I want a shock that's comfortable I don't wanna feel any bump like it used to be comfort is what I'm after please any recommendations would be appreciated

Steve_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
Unfortunately you give up comfort when you put 20's on it and lower it. Very hard to get good stance, better handling and comfort together. Im also guessing they have put shocks on to suit the springs, might just take some getting use to :)

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Back in the days when I had 17'' the ride was just terrible and that's why I went to 16'' with the higher profiles well that and we drive in the outback.
I can only imagine how rough the 20's are and like Steve said you will just have to adapt to the terrible ride.

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I had 20's in my VY slammed on airbags, ride wasn't that bad for me but was definitely bumpy. They might have put HD springs in the rear which makes it quite stiff to drive. Honestly you get what you pay for. The more expensive brands will be much smoother. I had Optima shocks which I found quite good value for money. Expect it to be stiff though. When there's not much tyre to absorb the load and shock travel is reduced, of course ride quality will be a lot stiffer.

VE Mik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ser2 Calais V 6.0
I have koni yellow, they are fully adjustable and running on 20 inch rims. I had them set at about halfway but the ride was way to harsh for my liking so adjusted the front and tears to full soft and now it drives amazing. Expensive but good

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Springs will also be a large factor in this, King Springs ain't that great, but there's not a lot else for Commodores. Only other thing I could recommend would be to get MCA Coilovers that have spring rates and matching valving for comfort.