Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Lowering from Standard, Springs & Shocks

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by zac_sa, May 21, 2011.

1. zac_sa

zac_sa Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais
    Ive been reading the forums and the listed threads are confusing with all the banter.
    I have a Calais V which already has the FE2 springs. Im thinking of lowering it with King Springs

SL = Super Low (Equivalent lowering to FE2)
    SSL = Super Super Low
    SSSL = Ultra Low

So im thinking of going to SSL, I want to get the guard to be level with the tyre (if possible)
    Currently my VE with 18" and FE2 has around 50-60mm clearance between tyre and guard.
    I know im not going to close that gap completely.

So Ive 2 questions,
    (1)with SSL springs, how much lower will it go?
    (2)Should the shocks be changed or can I keep the current style shock?

I know I dont need to change shocks, but as the car has done over 100 000 im looking at changing them anyway so figured I may as well put the correct shocks in.

I want to avoid making the ride too bumpy though, so if the current model shocks will provide less bumps, then I'll stick with them.

2. CJY92

CJY92 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6
    i put sssl all round last week in my sv6, car sits flat with rear tyre being level with guards(just fit fingers between tyre and guard with the stock 18'') and front tyres have a little bit more clearance then the rear.
    was told that if i went any lower i would need to change shocks, the ride is a bit more bumpy but i wouldnt change it back(feels really sporty) just have to be more careful over speed humps.

3. zac_sa

zac_sa Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais
    Oh cool,
    Are you sure theyre the SSSL and not SSL?
    As ive heard with SSSL aka Ultra Low, you need to get a shorter stroke shock. Also there is no lower than SSSL from what I understand.

Have any pics?

4. CJY92

CJY92 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6
    yea man im sure they are ultra low, kings do make one lower called sp4 (SSSSL)
    I asked ozzy tyres they quoted me $450 for springs and alignment they said I wont need them, I ended up getting it done at whole sale suspension for $495 with alignment they also said I don't really need them I was prepared to buy shocks as well but they both said its not necessary.
    if its the v8 you will only need ssl on the front due to it being heavier.
    will upload pics tomorrow i am really happy with how it sits.
    this is a good thread.
    http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/ve-holden-commodore-2006/152423-king-springs-ves.html

5. Lumps of cheese

Lumps of cheese welcome to the machine

Members Ride:
    83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
    You can change your shocks, but it will stiffen up the ride so i'd suggest keeping what you have if you don't want a harsh ride, just change the springs.

6. VooDooWagon

VooDooWagon New Member

Members Ride:
    VE MY10 SSV Sportwagon M6
    Stock shocks will give more of a harsh ride over short bodied shocks.

7. Lumps of cheese

Members Ride:
    Depends on your definition. Lowered springs with factory shocks create a more bouncy feel about the ride, where the shortened shocks won't bounce, but feel stiffer all the same. I'm also deciding whether to change my shocks for this reason, decisions decisions.

8. KARTAL

KARTAL New Member

Members Ride:
    08 Commodore VE SV6
    clarification sl is low (fe2) ssl is super low and sssl is ultra low..
    i got sssl front and ssl on back with sports bumpstops (stock shokers) on my sv6 and rides fine not too harsh at all..
    if yours is a v8 you will need it to be ssl front and back for it to sit like this or sssl will need shortened shockers and should sit 15-20 mm lower... i dont have any issues with scrubbing over bumps or with people in the back, dunno it this helps.. lol

[​IMG]

9. UFO

UFO I Believe

Members Ride:
    MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
    OP, what body shape you got?

This will make a difference on whether you want to reduce rake or increase it.
    For instance, I have a Sportwagon.... and I had to get the arse dropped a tad more than the front to balance it out a bit, because as the car gets lower to the tyre the difference in height from front to rear to more noticeable.

I didnt want it too low, just enough to have the tyre edge line up evenly all the way around the guard lip.

10. zac_sa

zac_sa Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais
    Ive got a Sedan.
    To be honest im thinking of going SSL all round with the same model shocks.

Im just getting rid of a VS that ive lowered pretty low and although I like to drive it, its not that smooth for passengers. Also the bumpy ride has made steering rack, etc fall apart too frequently.

11. wake jake

wake jake New Member

Members Ride:
    SIDI SV6 Ute
    in a V8 you'll want SSSL rear SSL front since the heavier front it will make it the same as SSSL all round in a 6. perfect height IMO

12. TinSnips

TinSnips Polish all the things...

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Ute
    There are short body shocks that won't make the ride harsh - but it will stop you smacking into the bump stops. KYB and Boge spring to mind. Reportedly very comfortable ride, whist still giving plenty of shock travel and also able to reduce the bounce - without going for an all out, performance-biased shock.

13. Lumps of cheese

Members Ride:
    Yeah well, i'm having trouble deciding what to do myself. Having the sports ryder already in there i'm not too keen on replacing them with something else but it seems matching a shock to them might be a bit tricky. I suppose there's always coilovers but that's probably a bit of overkill for what i do. Might help with this thread if people post their setups and thoughts prehaps?
    Will certainly help me make a decision :)

14. MathoSSV

MathoSSV New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Ute
    VE SSV ute - Kings SSL front & rear progressive rate springs with matching Monroe GT sport struts/shocks and kings bumpstops-only cost me 600 all up

Can't fault the set up, nice 'n' low, handles great around the twisty stuff, still takes a lot of weight in the tray, and the ride isn't too harsh, but my last few cars have been jap imports with coilovers so harsh to me might be different to you guys. I take it up the bush over lots of dirt roads/tracks, long rural highways with small pot holes etc and it hasn't been annoying at all

15. wedgee

wedgee New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV redline ute in Phantom
    Any chance of a pic side on from about door handle height and or lower? Getting mine lowered soon and was going to go ssl front and sssl rear (advice from suspension place) but not sure on the sssl rears because of driveway etc...

16. Slick6

Slick6 New Member

Members Ride:
    Phantom SSV
    Definitely change your shocks, at 100,000km they will be on their way out and with the lower springs it will make your car feel like crap.

In the past I always have changed springs and shocks but figured because my VE was new I would just change the springs.

While it felt good at around the 50,000km mark I could notice the shocks not doing their job as well and bottoming out over bumps that were previously not a problem. Now at 65,000km its not better and I need to get them changed.

Go for a short body shock as they are designed to operate within the lowered range of motion, normal shocks will work but will be operating outside their optimal range.

17. LachieSV6

LachieSV6 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
    I have SSSL Fronts and SSL Rears...... my wheels sit just above the tyres all round..... (Level) Looks the best IMO

I have the Monroe Short Stroke Shocks in it too, i have been in a Spring only change with Standard shocks, i feel my ride is much nicer and progressive than just a spring swap. i am so happy with mine. Bearing in mind it takes about 3-5000kms for the springs and shocks to wear in and settle its really good and worth spending the extra for the shocks!

I rarely bottom out with the shocks. and i have new Monroe shorter/progressive bumpstops too so my ride qaulity is great over large dips and potholes!

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  18. zac_sa

zac_sa Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais
    SSSL Rears I take it you meant?

Do you have pics?

Id love to see what SSL all round looks like as well as SSSL Rear/SSL Front.

Also the difference in handling and ride.

19. LachieSV6

LachieSV6 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
    No SSL Rear And my Rears are (Heavy Duty) and SSSL Fronts however i carry about 30kg in the boot worth of Stereo all the time..... ha ill get a pic tonight and post it up

20. Lumps of cheese

Members Ride:
    Damn, $1000 bucks for gsr sports ryder struts front and back, not including fitting and alignment!
    Hmmmm, considering whipping out the pedders coils and struts and going with coilovers, not sure though.