Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Lowering from Standard, Springs & Shocks

wake jake

Reaction score
Members Ride
SIDI SV6 Ute
in a V8 you'll want SSSL rear SSL front since the heavier front it will make it the same as SSSL all round in a 6. perfect height IMO

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Depends on your definition. Lowered springs with factory shocks create a more bouncy feel about the ride, where the shortened shocks won't bounce, but feel stiffer all the same. I'm also deciding whether to change my shocks for this reason, decisions decisions.

There are short body shocks that won't make the ride harsh - but it will stop you smacking into the bump stops. KYB and Boge spring to mind. Reportedly very comfortable ride, whist still giving plenty of shock travel and also able to reduce the bounce - without going for an all out, performance-biased shock.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Yeah well, i'm having trouble deciding what to do myself. Having the sports ryder already in there i'm not too keen on replacing them with something else but it seems matching a shock to them might be a bit tricky. I suppose there's always coilovers but that's probably a bit of overkill for what i do. Might help with this thread if people post their setups and thoughts prehaps?
Will certainly help me make a decision :)

MathoSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
VE SSV ute - Kings SSL front & rear progressive rate springs with matching Monroe GT sport struts/shocks and kings bumpstops-only cost me 600 all up

Can't fault the set up, nice 'n' low, handles great around the twisty stuff, still takes a lot of weight in the tray, and the ride isn't too harsh, but my last few cars have been jap imports with coilovers so harsh to me might be different to you guys. I take it up the bush over lots of dirt roads/tracks, long rural highways with small pot holes etc and it hasn't been annoying at all

wedgee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV redline ute in Phantom
VE SSV ute - Kings SSL front & rear progressive rate springs with matching Monroe GT sport struts/shocks and kings bumpstops-only cost me 600 all up

Can't fault the set up, nice 'n' low, handles great around the twisty stuff, still takes a lot of weight in the tray, and the ride isn't too harsh, but my last few cars have been jap imports with coilovers so harsh to me might be different to you guys. I take it up the bush over lots of dirt roads/tracks, long rural highways with small pot holes etc and it hasn't been annoying at all
Any chance of a pic side on from about door handle height and or lower? Getting mine lowered soon and was going to go ssl front and sssl rear (advice from suspension place) but not sure on the sssl rears because of driveway etc...

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
Definitely change your shocks, at 100,000km they will be on their way out and with the lower springs it will make your car feel like crap.

In the past I always have changed springs and shocks but figured because my VE was new I would just change the springs.

While it felt good at around the 50,000km mark I could notice the shocks not doing their job as well and bottoming out over bumps that were previously not a problem. Now at 65,000km its not better and I need to get them changed.

Go for a short body shock as they are designed to operate within the lowered range of motion, normal shocks will work but will be operating outside their optimal range.

LachieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
I have SSSL Fronts and SSL Rears...... my wheels sit just above the tyres all round..... (Level) Looks the best IMO

I have the Monroe Short Stroke Shocks in it too, i have been in a Spring only change with Standard shocks, i feel my ride is much nicer and progressive than just a spring swap. i am so happy with mine. Bearing in mind it takes about 3-5000kms for the springs and shocks to wear in and settle its really good and worth spending the extra for the shocks!

I rarely bottom out with the shocks. and i have new Monroe shorter/progressive bumpstops too so my ride qaulity is great over large dips and potholes!

Last edited:

zac_sa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
I have SSSL Fronts and SSL Fronts...... my wheels sit just above the tyres all round.....

SSSL Rears I take it you meant?

Do you have pics?

Id love to see what SSL all round looks like as well as SSSL Rear/SSL Front.

Also the difference in handling and ride.

LachieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
No SSL Rear And my Rears are (Heavy Duty) and SSSL Fronts however i carry about 30kg in the boot worth of Stereo all the time..... ha ill get a pic tonight and post it up