Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE lube questions.

Fish Head

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Wagon
Hi Folks.
I'm new to Commodores and have now a ve sportswagon...120,000 km on it.
Bought a manual and it seems the diff oil never gets changed as the manual says ....:sealed for life's ,go figure ? Is this true ?
Also considering a transmission oil change before the 150k mark using Penrite Synthetic ATF,anyone any comments about using this ?
Cheers.
Fishead

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Do both. Just make sure it's done properly. Sealed for life just means it will last a fair while until it eventually blows up from lack of maintenance. I replaced my diff oil with the expensive Penrite GL5 Synthetic ( not LSD ) and it's good.

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
Do both. Just make sure it's done properly. Sealed for life just means it will last a fair while until it eventually blows up from lack of maintenance. I replaced my diff oil with the expensive Penrite GL5 Synthetic ( not LSD ) and it's good.
What are the benefits of replacing diff oil?
I have thought about doing it but never bothered?
I do trans every 20k and engine oil and filter every 5k, but have not done diff oil in any of my cars.

Fish Head

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Wagon
Thanks Greenacc.
Had a feeling that may have been the case.Will go with the Penrite diff refill too.
Thanks.
Fishhead.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What are the benefits of replacing diff oil?
I have thought about doing it but never bothered?
I do trans every 20k and engine oil and filter every 5k, but have not done diff oil in any of my cars.
Same as changing the engine oil. Gets the old oil and worn metal particles out so they don't keep circulating through the diff gears and wear out your diff. Plus it's nice and fresh with new detergents etc etc

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
The only reason manufacturers say “sealed for life” is so the greasy bastards get to sell u a new one when it craps out from lack of maintenance mate

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
92184900 - GM part number for the VE diff oil - comes in a 1L bottle and the diff will require approx 1.2L - about $30odd each - highly recommend changing it - I’ve done it 3 times in my VE that has 107thou on the clock and each time it’s been dropped, it’s got the appearance of tar and it stinks

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Have a read of this thread:

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/diff-oil-replacement.266589/

This is a picture from that. It's fluid from an LSA diff after only 18000kms..this is why you should change it. I'll leave you to guess what all the little sparkly bits are..

Sealed for life is bullshiit. Plain and simple

pic.png

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Have a read of this thread:

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/diff-oil-replacement.266589/

This is a picture from that. It's fluid from an LSA diff after only 18000kms..this is why you should change it. I'll leave you to guess what all the little sparkly bits are..

Sealed for life is bullshiit. Plain and simple

View attachment 206322

LSA diffs ARE sealed for life, their life being about 30,000km before they're replaced at the second service(or earlier), due to the amount of sparkly bits and noise they generate. At least, during the warranty period...:cool: