Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE money making

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Everyone's been going on about how this might have been a huge mistake for Holden, so I did some maths. June commodore sales were a bit over 5000 commodores. If Holden makes $50 per commodore at this sales rate, it will have made $1.5b in 5 years time, allowing for extra money into new models. I don't think this is too bad, because even if the VE doesn't bring back large car sales, surelly it'll be enough to slow or stop the drop in sales. Besides, Holden are looking extremelly closely at exporting the commodore. By the way, the LWB model sales will increase profit even further.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
In reality Holden don't need to sell a single commodore in Australia to remain afloat. Export sales and potential new markets will keep them going to some extent. Unlike Mistubishi, where if they don't secure some export sales it will most likely signal the death of them making a local large car in oz.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
vystorm_adel said:
Unlike Mistubishi, where if they don't secure some export sales it will most likely signal the death of them making a local large car in oz.

Mitsubishi don't make a local large car in Australia... Not since the Magna stopped production but even the Magna was on the borderline between medium and large. NO WAY four adults would fit in a Magna and they got even LESS chance now in a 380...

monaroCountry

Reaction score
Everyone's been going on about how this might have been a huge mistake for Holden, so I did some maths. June commodore sales were a bit over 5000 commodores. If Holden makes $50 per commodore at this sales rate, it will have made $1.5b in 5 years time, allowing for extra money into new models. I don't think this is too bad, because even if the VE doesn't bring back large car sales, surelly it'll be enough to slow or stop the drop in sales. Besides, Holden are looking extremelly closely at exporting the commodore. By the way, the LWB model sales will increase profit even further.

The VE platform (Zeta) is the main money maker. This will become the architecture of several hundred thousand mid to large RWD cars for GM.

Each and every single unit sold, Holden will get a little $$$$, since they own and developed Zeta.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Well that doesn't stop mitsubish from calling it a large sedan....... it's not as small as some people think actually.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
I think Holden has a very secure future ahead of them

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
Scotty_Doesn't_Know said:
Mitsubishi don't make a local large car in Australia... Not since the Magna stopped production but even the Magna was on the borderline between medium and large. NO WAY four adults would fit in a Magna and they got even LESS chance now in a 380...

the 380 is a large car in my opinion. i've sat in it right next to the VZ and the difference was marginal, the 380 was only slightly smaller.

in my view, holden face some major problems with the VE and as has been said its based around fuel pricing. people are moving away from big cars and engines, not just in australia but in countries like the US as well.

this is not rocket science, their market is shrinking. as fuel prices are unlikely to ease and probably will get worse, the problem will only get bigger for them.

this will hit cars like the 380 before it hits VE and Orion (ford) but once mitsubishi folds in australia the parts industry will take a big hit and that hurts holden.

there's no doubt holden's future has some big questions surrounding it. they're in good company. in fact GM may itself fold before too long, which is a big problem for holden.

the global car making industry is haemoraging right now. things are likely to be arranged quite differently in 10 years time to what they are now.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Don't forget Holden build 2.8 and 3.2L V6's. If fuel economy was really damaging them, there'd be no problem for them to put a smaller engine into the commodore

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Holden don't need to make the Commodore into a small car, they allready have plenty of small cars for sale in the showrooms. The Commodore is just the big car that they offer and if large car sales go to almost nothing well big deal, they will sell more small cars, less large cars and nothing will change. The point is you still need to offer a large car because some people need a bigger car. You also need to offer a manual budget model because some people need that too, Holden don't seem to get that though *slap* :)

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
greenfoam said:
Holden don't need to make the Commodore into a small car, they allready have plenty of small cars for sale in the showrooms. The Commodore is just the big car that they offer and if large car sales go to almost nothing well big deal, they will sell more small cars, less large cars and nothing will change. The point is you still need to offer a large car because some people need a bigger car. You also need to offer a manual budget model because some people need that too, Holden don't seem to get that though *slap* :)

Holden will keep offering a large car (if GM dosn't fold) the question is whether it will be an import as if the sales numbers are too small they might just import them from the US or more likely Korea.
If Mitsubishi and Ford go down in Oz I'm 95% sure production and design of Commos woint last too long here.