Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE O2 sensor Test

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Hi guys can O2 sensors be tested to see if they are running rich.
So you have laptop running and you see the volts/amps/current/whatever are running rich?
Hope that makes sense.
I`m thinking of doing a new log to see if it can be picked up that they are running rich.
Cheers Pete.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Newer scan tools allow you to view the operation and readings live on the scan tool as a graph. The graph will show erratic behaviour. Not sure about viewing the data via a laptop though. I've done this test with my relatives scan tool and showed some good information, being old O2 sensors I was wondering how they performed and still working just fine.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
02 sensors will constantly isolate when at or commanding stoich 14.7 afr or lambda 1.0 for all fuels, so when you're 02 shows consistently above 450mv your rich when under your lean but the 02 are not accurate for anything outside lambda 1.0, so if ur cruising they should be isolating if not u have a issue, when u put ur foot down they will go to around 850mv

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hi guys can O2 sensors be tested to see if they are running rich.
So you have laptop running and you see the volts/amps/current/whatever are running rich?
Hope that makes sense.
I`m thinking of doing a new log to see if it can be picked up that they are running rich.
Cheers Pete.

Gday Pete,

Yes you can view live O2 sensor readings using our software on your laptop. And there is even a graph view to see the behavior of the O2 sensors.

I find the best way to check the vehicles performance it so go for a drive while logging. Then once finished, save the engine log and then replay the data. You can rewind/fastfoward ect to view the live data and is really resourceful for identifying areas of interest.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
You can test o2 sensors on the Tech2. The Tech2 has a graph/scope mode you can test both banks left and right. If you want you can test both the sensors at the same time on the scope.
What is your long term fuel trim like?
People dont reliase how important LTFT data is.
On the scope you should see the voltage vary from 0v-1v you might not get to 1v maybe 750mv-950mv. This does not mean the sensor is good you need to see the cross-counts and how fast the voltage changes from 0v-1v this is your frequency. o2 sensor can become lazy.
Do the check when the car is at operating tempreture.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
You can test o2 sensors on the Tech2. The Tech2 has a graph/scope mode you can test both banks left and right. If you want you can test both the sensors at the same time on the scope.
What is your long term fuel trim like?
People dont reliase how important LTFT data is.
On the scope you should see the voltage vary from 0v-1v you might not get to 1v maybe 750mv-950mv. This does not mean the sensor is good you need to see the cross-counts and how fast the voltage changes from 0v-1v this is your frequency. o2 sensor can become lazy.
Do the check when the car is at operating tempreture.

So you mean something like this :beer chug:

GraphView_SOE.png

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I have to get onto Steve at OzTrack who did the the remote tune.
I have efilive autocal so I should be able to do log and get him to have a look at it yes?