Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Omega - Brake Pads and Rotors

JoeRogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Evoke Sedan
I've got a 2009 Omega Sedan 6cyl.

I know the brake pads are getting down, and I have a bit of shudder when I brake going down hills, so I know the rotors are a bit warped too.

Out of below, what is the best option to go for?

1. Machine existing rotors and get new standard pads for VE
2. Buy new standard rotors and pads
3. Buy new slotted (non standard) rotors and pads

I'm not a race car driver, I don't need the most kickass expensive rotors & pads, but I want to get the right ones if there's something better than "standard" for not much more $$.

Whatever option I go with, where can I buy rotors and pads?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
If you are looking at changing the rotors, have a look at also changing the brake calliper carriers to ones from a V8 model.

The brake callipers and brake pads for V8 models are the same, the carrier (The thing that holds the brake calliper in place) for V8 models allows you to use a slightly bigger
brake rotor. (Hence better stopping power).

You can see these things for sale on eBay all the time, and prices can range from $50 for just the carriers, $70 for front or rear carriers, callipers and rotors (Used).

A good place to source brake pads, rotors, etc is the site sponsor, GSL rally sport.
I have bought a number of items from them, and found their prices are fantastic, and their support and after sales service is excellent.

If you can work out how much you are willing to spend, that would probably help you out immensely, as brakes are one of those things where its very easy to spend far more than you were willing to originally planning.

I hope this helps.

JoeRogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Evoke Sedan
Thanks for the detailed reply. I really only wanted to spend about $250ish.

I'm happy to stay in the V6 bracket, without upgrading to V8 parts. I'm thinking just rotors and pads. I don't really want to spend on anything else.

Does that narrow it down?

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Hey Joe, I recently purchased brand new front and rear slotted disk rotors, along with new brake pads for $300 for my V6 VE.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
I purchased the rotors from eBay, when I went to pick the up they offered me cheap brake pads to go with them.

JoeRogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Evoke Sedan
I purchased the rotors from eBay, when I went to pick the up they offered me cheap brake pads to go with them.

Ok, thanks. Could you do me a favour and see if there's a current listing like yours and post a link? I don't know much about brakes :)

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Where can you go for parts..? One answer, GSL Rallysport who also happens to be a forum sponsor. Just give Greg a call and he will be able to give you a decent price on some aftermarket discs and pads to suit. Plus you also get that ball tingling feeling from helping out someone who helps out this great forum. Simple look for the GSL forum at the top of the main page.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
You can't necessarily assume from the shudder in your brakes that you have warped rotors. That can just be due to the old pads being glazed up, worn out etc so you may not need to touch the rotors unless they are down to minimum thickness. I got a set of Remsa pads from GSL about a year ago and they stop great, very dusty though so the wheels turn black every 3 weeks but its easy to wash off. If changing the pads yourself take careful note of the pattern of the pins on the back of the pad. This is the only difference between the inner and outer pads on each front wheel, so its easy to miss that little hidden difference and put the new pads in wrong......