Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve omega engine temperature

Vespers86

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve commodore omega
Hey everyone was just after some advice regarding an issue with my ve omega. I’ve been noticing recently after returning from drives where the car reaches full operating temperature that the engine bay and motor seem excessively hot, and when I squeeze both radiator hoses it feels like there’s next to no coolant in them, maybe 30% at most, and are so hot you can barely touch them for long. The coolant overflow/resivoir is full with coolant on the dipstick and appears to never need topping up, the temperature gauge seems to always sit just below half way, I rarely hear the cooling fans come on, most recently I checked in the engineering mode on the dashboard and it said coolant temp 109 degrees, I don’t have much knowledge on this issue, is there a problem or does it sound normal

LeighC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega V Commodore V6 Dual Fuel
my radiator cap was not holding pressure, a new cap fixed it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Check out my how to I wrote up in “how to” forum.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Unscrew the radiator pressure cap and check it is full to the top with the correct coolant. That is the black cap, not the yellow one. Also get a new pressure cap from the nearest Holden dealer and see if this solves the issue. Bleeding it would also be a good idea.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The caps from Holden will be AC Delco and cost the same (or less) than a junk one from Supercrap. I paid $23 the other day at Holden.

Also, new caps are 140kPa. Old ones are 120kPa.

Greenacc is spot on. Holden just about always have one there in stock.

Vespers86

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve commodore omega
Thanks everyone for the replies, I’ll get a new radiator cap today and see if that fixes the problem

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Thanks everyone for the replies, I’ll get a new radiator cap today and see if that fixes the problem
I purchased a Genuine Holden Cap for Less that one from supercheap. Also the Supercheap one's are crap so stick to GENUINE for this. Also You might have to fill the radiator Cap ( It not really a Radiator Cap) a few times in 3 to 4 MORNINGS in a row, yes Morning when the car is cold before the the recovery system takes over. My VE V6 did this as I re flushed the System and I notice not much movement in the recovery system but each time I had to put at least 500-750mil on the radiator cap for 3 to 4 days then the recovery system took over.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1