Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Omega key lock free spinning

Harley Bolton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
Gday guys, my mothers Ve Omega has been sitting for about 3 months and the battery is dead. Tried to open the car with her key to gain access inside to pop bonnet but key just free spins either way with just a small click left or right of starting position. I have searched this great site and a thread states that I can get a small enough charge for the key to unlock car if I can get jump cables to either the alternator or starter motor. If anyone could give this novice a step by step guide it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
while turning key in door lock it will feel like it is going to break lift door handle, door will open, normal to do it this way with flat car battery

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
jack up front of car and place stands
locate your starter motor underneath
place positive jumper lead on stud that has large cable on it, be careful jumper does not touch chasis as well
place negative jumper lead on chasis
connect other end of jumper leads to battery of donor vehicle
use remote to unlock mums car
remove jumper leads and get mums car back on the ground
pop bonnet and charge mums battery
then fix door lock

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Or do same as @lout said but use a trickle charger rather than jumpers from another vehicle. Should unlock via the key fob straight away but best to wait 5 or 10 minutes and let the battery juice up a little. Then you’ll definitely be able to unlock via key fob.

The small benefit in doing this is that trickle charger alligator clips are much smaller than jumper cables and thus reduce the risk of spot welding o_O

Obviously this presupposes the vehicle is in the driveway and you have a long enough extension cord ;)