Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve omega Ly7

stuart1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE omega my09.5
i've got a ve omega ex police car, and on the engine model it has Ly7

i've talked to a few people and they say it's a mistake or something

any ideas?

Tommo_27

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
No mistake. LY7 is correct its the global name GM uses i think. Alloytec is just another name for it.

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
I'm pretty sure both (175 vz) 180 ve and (190 vz) 195 ve engines where both LY7, one been the single cam reg an and outher which was dual cam and was focused as the high output version.

wizeabe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Omega came with the LE0 where as the higher end models came with the LY7. The LE0 being 175/180KW flywheel and the LY7 was 190/195 flywheel.

If the build plate states that it's an LY7 then it could possibly be a special request by the police.

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
Omega came with the LE0 where as the higher end models came with the LY7. The LE0 being 175/180KW flywheel and the LY7 was 190/195 flywheel.

If the build plate states that it's an LY7 then it could possibly be a special request by the police.

on a quick search, i guess your right. LE0 is the 175/180 version and the LY7 is the 190/195.

Nikkojoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
It depends what year model the car is from memory. I remember seeing just before the SIDI was released the 175/180 engine with single vct was replaced with a de-tuned version of the high output 190/195 dual vct engine.

Seeing as the car in question is an MY09.5 it probably has the detuned dual vct engine.

From wikipedia
For the 2008 Australian International Motor Show in Sydney, Holden announced the standardisation of the "premium" Alloytec V6 across the Commodore range from 1 November 2008, whereas previously it had been reserved for the SV6 and Calais.[50][51] Omega and Berlina variants acquired variable valve timing, like the High Output engine, but not the "premium" dual exhaust system and the five-speed automatic transmission. These changes result in the base petrol V6 producing 5 kilowatts (6.7 hp) less power and 5 newton metres (3.7 ft·lbf) less torque than the engine it replaces. However, Omega and Berlina sedans benefit from a two percent fuel efficiency improvement, or four percent for wagons

wizeabe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
It depends what year model the car is from memory. I remember seeing just before the SIDI was released the 175/180 engine with single vct was replaced with a de-tuned version of the high output 190/195 dual vct engine.

Seeing as the car in question is an MY09.5 it probably has the detuned dual vct engine.

From wikipedia

Wow, learn something new everyday. :)
I always wondered why they just didn't do that from the beginning.