Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Omega Series 1 Ute Tweeter Stereo advise wanted

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LY7 2010 Ute
Hello I was looking to add - wire amp to standard head unit / using hi/low converter box etc....pretty easy standard stuff...but If you need to add tweeters to front that are not supplied with vehicle as standard...

Q.1/ Do you use / tap into the wires from existing head units front speaker wires at the back of the head unit ** but before they go into the low/hi/ wire / rc lead converter box which runs leads off to the amp....If so

Q2./ Would the standard head units front speaker output wires not produce too much power to damage the tweeters...?

Q3./ Would tapping into the front speaker wires off the back of the head unit first.. before they then continue off to the hi/low adaptor box.. not have a power input reduction enough to cause issues to the converter box it needs to convert hi/low to RC leads to the amp....Thanks for your time and help...Merry Xmas

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
1: Assuming you're going with the factory HU, on my wagon I split the output of the plug off into a High Level Input to RCA connector, then sent the signal to my Amps via RCA. This is a crude way of doing it, but it's at least better because you don't have to hard-wire an amp in. It's just a massive pain in the arse to wire.

2: The stock head unit isn't that powerful. You may actually run into issues, especially with higher quality, low impedance speakers with driving the speakers. Take out the stock tweeters and look at the impedance rating on the backs of both them and the replacements. If the replacements have the same as the factory rating? No amp's needed. Otherwise, if the impedance is lower (measured in Ohms) you'll probs need an amp as these speakers will draw more power.

3: My advice would be to run a crossover box in your door. Most component kits come with a proper crossover which splits the high and low signal. You can simply run the crossover with the midrange output and leave the factory tweeter to do the driving for the high end with an inline HPF filter soldered to it. If you want to run the aftermarket tweeter in the factory position, you'll need to remove the stock one and mount it in the stock position somehow. I'd also run wires into your door crossover to take advantage of that. Wiring's going to be a total pain in the butt, but it'll be well worth it.