Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve omega tail light globe issue

Vespers86

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve commodore omega
Hey everyone, I’ve got a question about an annoying issue of me having to replace drivers side stop/tail light globe every 9 months roughly on my 08 ve omega, the passenger side globe seems to last a bit longer, the cars done it since I bought it years ago. When I put the globes in I don’t touch them with bare hands, I use gloves and there’s no sign whatsoever of water leaks inside the tail light or on the wiring, has anyone else experienced this problem

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Where do you buy the globes from, are they a good quality brand? I recall probably 15 years ago with my work wagon either VT or VY that when original globes went I bought some at local servo - would last about 6 weeks or so. Then bought some better quality ones elsewhere and lasted much longer. I can't remember I got the later one from, Holden dealer or somewhere like Repco etc. It may be just down to the globes you have as replacements.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Exactly what he said.
Find some good quality globes and the problem is solved. I had the same issue and went through about 6 bulbs in a few months so went hunting for good globes. Found some Philips globes made in France and put them in. Haven't had a problem since, roughly 5 years.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Exactly what he said.
Find some good quality globes and the problem is solved. I had the same issue and went through about 6 bulbs in a few months so went hunting for good globes. Found some Philips globes made in France and put them in. Haven't had a problem since, roughly 5 years.

Yeah,had a 24 Hour Truck Stop on the Pacific H/way for 15 years,bad bulbs ran in batches,try a different supplier and brand,if it is still is blowing bulbs you have a wiring issue of some kind or other related problem.

Vespers86

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve commodore omega
Thanks everyone for the replies, I’ll try a different brand and better quality globe from now on and see how that goes

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Always had the rear brake light globes blow every few months in the missus VE wagon and she would get the local mechanic to replace as I was doing FIFO work at the time.
About 4 years ago, I noticed 1 not working and pulled it out. The local mechanic was using SCA bulbs. I put in some left over from LED taillight upgrade on my Kawasaki bike. Good Jap quality globes as they were in my bike for over 5 years as well and still working today.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I look after a friend's Corolla that was regularly blowing the L/H brake light bulb.
No obvious damage to the wiring or bulb socket... I had a pair of LED bulbs that I bought for my Redline ute, they worked in the ute but always came up with a 'Check Brake Light' message. They've been working well in the Corolla for over 12 months now, and no messages...

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’ve been having this issue for sometime. It’s the bloody globes. Quality of what is sold today is junk. Tried several brands.
I had been replacing the right rear globe on my VZ, each lasting about 3months.

One time I replaced it and a week later the cops pull me over in my work carpark because that globe was blown!

Fixed it by going to mums and going through an old box of globes from the 80’s and the 90’s.

The old globe hasn’t faulted in a year.

Vespers86

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve commodore omega
Since everybody’s replies to this issue I’m having I tried to remember which globes I used everytime as the issue has been happening for years on and off, and as far as I can remember I bought the globes everytime at SCA (their own brand globes). Each time It happened I stupidly thought that it wasn’t the globes but the car causing the problem, it’s good to know now that it’s crap quality globes