Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE on the Cheap, Well Hope so

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
@VFSV6FORME the car looks rather nice until you get to the left rear. Ouch.

Seems like a bit of a wack but nothing that can’t be fixed though I’ve seen less damage write off a VE. Whether it’s worth repairing professionally, time and formal quote will tell.

Sadly, my experiance is that $1000 is needed simply to get a panel beater to pick up his paint gun. I wouldn’t be surprised if they‘d want in the region of $2500 to repair, probably more.

To me it looks like the rear quarter, rear left lamp assembly and bumper would need to be repaired or replaced.

Better to have gotten a repair quote, before spending time detailing the car.

I would check it out very carefully,
as that is were the battery sits,
and make sure its repaired properly, and battery acid hasn't been spilt and damaged the internal panels.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I would check it out very carefully,
as that is were the battery sits,
and make sure its repaired properly, and battery acid hasn't been spilt and damaged the internal panels.
Check already and the battery did not leak a drop. Yes all has to be OK otherwise the cradle for the battery wont fit correctly

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is the part you need..It's not a full side panel,
Yes I spotted it on ebay (if the same one) but the seller wont post and local pick up only from NSW..
This VE will be only used for Shopping to replace our AGING 1993 Commodore shopping car as I will not take the VF Storm in a Shopping centre. The VF Storm is only use when we want to go for a drive when it doesn't rain.
I having a friend that use to be a Panel beater that will come over later today to give me advice on the best way to fix it on the cheap. Again the VE It a shopping car 100 time better than the poor VR 1993 that has been extremely reliable for the last 24 years that I had it.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
But,keep it mine,,,these alloytec engines will suffer greatly when subject to too many short trips.
Your choice of "shopping trolley" is not very ideal..

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
..... I having a friend that use to be a Panel beater that will come over later today to give me advice on the best way to fix it on the cheap....
With a little help from your mate, you should be able to repair it in place using old style panel beating skills rather than today’s modern remove and replace techniques.

To me it doesn’t look beyond redemption. Having said that, modern techniques are more reliable if done well and usually more cost effective than paying the hours needed to reshape a crushed panel. But a skilled mate that works for beer can’t be beaten.

Me, i’d try the panel work and if one stuffs it up, it’s no worse than what it was. If a home repair doesn’t work out you could take it to the pro’s who will remove and replace the rear quarter in any case. As for paint work, I’d leave that to the pro’s with the paint booths and such as I’m not setup for such a home.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
But,keep it mine,,,these alloytec engines will suffer greatly when subject to too many short trips.
As long as one is aware that these V6’s have a tendency to sludge up when following the manufacturer’s l o n g service schedule of 15,000 kms or 9 months, a more frequent oil change will cure such tendencies.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Unfortunately this car will be used for short trip to our local shopping which is 1K away each way about once a week, than once a week to our main Shopping center which is 12 K away each way. the Old Girl VR has been doing this for 12 years now but every now and then we would travel about 50 or 60 k each way to see some of our Friends

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
As long as one is aware that these V6’s have a tendency to sludge up when following the manufacturer’s l o n g service schedule of 15,000 kms or 9 months, a more frequent oil change will cure such tendencies.
If I get this car repaired I will change the OIL a Good oil with Dexos 1 about every 4000k which is what we do in 9 to 12 months on the VR.

Also since the OIL filter is so easy to change I might change the filter more than once. Yeah I have a dedicated Torque wrench for the VF and now the VE set a 25 nm

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
With a little help from your mate, you should be able to repair it in place using old style panel beating skills rather than today’s modern remove and replace techniques.

To me it doesn’t look beyond redemption. Having said that, modern techniques are more reliable if done well and usually more cost effective than paying the hours needed to reshape a crushed panel. But a skilled mate that works for beer can’t be beaten.

Me, i’d try the panel work and if one stuffs it up, it’s no worse than what it was. If a home repair doesn’t work out you could take it to the pro’s who will remove and replace the rear quarter in any case. As for paint work, I’d leave that to the pro’s with the paint booths and such as I’m not setup for such a home.
My friend come over (retired as the nicky that putty stuff dust nearly kill him as he was doing it for 20 years) and he told me he has done worse and the finish was just as good around 98% but not compared to a NEW 100% panel. He said whenever they made that welded steel spikes (forgot what he called them) where you used a slide hammer ( mine would need around 25 off them)that made the jobs easier that change the game in Panel beaters. He also has a low opinion (sorry for existing Panel beaters) as the new breed of panel beaters have lost their skill as panel beaters. Before he was a Panel beater he was a Steel Fabricators that manufacturered steel parts out of nothing for the auto industry.
Lets hope I can con him as he does not drink beer or find a old school panel beater.