Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE on the Cheap, Well Hope so

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Yes I got it! and it has 6 sides and each side has a section that is Flat/missing so it would make it easy to strip using a slightly bigger socket. Also being made out of aluminum is very light and could be hollow more than you think making it easier to crush.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I went to Repco and purchased the Correct Tool that was made to remove the OIL sensor for the V6 and the cost was $17 then I went home removed and refitted the new Oil sensor started the car and presto the Fault is GONE!! Didn't have to plug the notebook in to clear it but I still might do this when I have time. Now the next job I will do the PCV valve

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'm sure I did mine with a shifter or something like that. I don't have the special tool, though it took about half an hour as apposed to 2 minutes

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm sure I did mine with a shifter or something like that. I don't have the special tool, though it took about half an hour as apposed to 2 minutes
Access is ordinary from the side. The socket makes it a two minute job.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Access is ordinary from the side. The socket makes it a two minute job.
Yes It took 10 second to unclip the wiring harness and 20 second to remove the Oil sender. Now it was made easy when you remove the base of the air cleaner but to remove the air cleaner you must first disconnect the battery so you can loosen that red positive post to move it out of the way but to loosen the + positive you have to take more stuff off. OOOh sh.it!!! yeah one of those thing that to do something you have to do something else and to do that you must do other things to get that out of the way.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
You didn't have to take the + wire out.Instead,once you undo the nut,pull the grommet out then bent the stud little(don't worry,won't snap) off comes the bottom half.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Instead,once you undo the nut,pull the grommet out then bent the stud little(don't worry,won't snap) off comes the bottom half.

No I was worried that I might snap that stud. Yes I remove that grommet and it steel bit in the middle and it still would not come out.
After this I modified the Air Cleaner by cutting a piece out and filing to look good. Now It come out with no issue. What in the F... was holden thinking about when they designed this bit. IDIOTS!!!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
These days, vehicles are designed with hoists, specialized tools and manufacturer specific diagnostics programs as a basic requirement for service. Also, what used to be designed with easy access and component repair in mind is now designed with efficient packaging (=difficult access) and modular (=expensive) component replacement in mind. The aim of such is to ensure reliable vehicles which continue to meet environmental laws over a long period with the added bonus for the manufacturers where people are driven to more often upgrade their vehicles rather than contemplate ongoing expensive maintenance.

Sadly, all manufacturers seem to be doing such "efficient" designs with Germans leading the pack (at the pointy end) and Japs bringing up the rear. If the manufacturers want such design methods, fine, but they should be up front about it. Holden wasn't up front as they cuts corners and ignored simple things like including fuel filter change within their service schedule, seemingly hiding the silly cost of filter/pump replacement from prospective customers.

Seems the days of easily being able to service ones own car using basic hand tools are almost gone. To make matters worse, service manuals are not leagally offered for sale down under. This was done as a trade off allowed by ACCC as the manufacturers wanted to offer fixed price servicing (and I don't see how the 2 are at all connected). Me i'd have prefered ACCC enforce the law where service manuals and TSB's were made available in the market place so we could get quality cheap service away from a dealer network. The market place would have likley offered fixed price service in any case, simply to compete, and we'd have our official manuals & TSB's.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Me i'd have prefered ACCC enforce the law where service manuals and TSB's were made available in the market place

There is some momentum to this.

While a little dated and shows the slow progress - https://www.accc.gov.au/media-relea...r-mandatory-sharing-of-car-repair-information

The issue has also got some air time more recently as part of the parliamentary enquiy into the franchising industry - https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentar...ons_and_Financial_Services/Franchising/Report

17.33 The committee notes that dealers have raised a range of issues for industry codes that are not specific to franchising, but may be significant issues for the automotive industry. The committee therefore considers that as long as it does not impede the other recommendations of this inquiry, the committee does not have any objection to a separate automotive industry code that deals with non-franchising matters, such as the access to service and repair information code proposed by the MTAA."