Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE on the Cheap, Well Hope so

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
You need to dismantle the old strut and put the old spring and everything on your new strut. You need a set of spring compressor to do it.
I the last 50 years on working on car I have a extensive collection of tools but I do not have Spring Compressor nor a battery impact tool. Same goes for the Electrical as I have spent fortune on testing tools like spectrum Annaliser ($8000), Oscillator ($2000), The best Fluke Multi meters and other electronic stuff but on my Hi fi other hobbies I have purchased a color Meter for 4K calibration, A device than measure your 4K TV peak brightness in nits ( test that on the new 4K movie Aquaman ( This device is important as Tv Manufacturers fake the peak brightness) + plenty of other stuff related to good sound and Good Picture quality. Trouble about me I have to many expensive hobbies and yet I have another stroke I forget how to use them so I have re -teach myself AGAIN!! LOL.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I the last 50 years on working on car I have a extensive collection of tools but I do not have Spring Compressor nor a battery impact tool. Same goes for the Electrical as I have spent fortune on testing tools like spectrum Annaliser ($8000), Oscillator ($2000), The best flute Multi meters and other electronic stuff but on my Hi fi thing I have purchased color Meter for 4K calibration, A device than measure your 4K TV peak brightness in nits ( test that on the new 4K movie Aquaman ( This device is important as Tv Manufacturers fake the peak brightness). Trouble about me I have to many expensive hobbies and yet I have another stroke I forget how to use them so I have re -teach myself AGAIN!! LOL.
Tell me about it. I've been collecting automotive tools, hand tools and renovation tools for twenty something years and don't have a set of spring compressor either :(
Bought some sexy screwdrivers the other day when I was supposed to be shopping for mother's day tho LOL ;)

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tomorrow I will start changing one of the rear shocks. One a day is enough work for me, Not in a hurry, Today I got my Leather steering wheel cover thats my wife job as she is a good sower to stitch it in.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
From memory swapping the rear struts over wasn't too bad as they are quite short units. But I found removing and refitting them to the car was a real tedious process with the tools I had.
Tip for the front struts tho, slightly loosen the top nut before you jack the car up. That is, the one you can see and the one underneath. Makes it easier.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tip for the front struts tho, slightly loosen the top nut before you jack the car up. That is, the one you can see and the one underneath. Makes it easier.
Yes I found that on a youtube video

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Hummmmm, Do you think that this happens when the original screen has bee replaced to a cheaper rubbish Chinese version. If you say its de-laminating you mean the glass itself is separating in there layers?

Laminated shower screen glass is usually glass/plastic film/glass. Your photo looks similar to a deteriorating shower screen.
Whether it is a cheap Chinese replacement, I don't know. Figure of speech ?

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Original glass should have the brand name Saint Gobain in the corner. Cheap replacement glass will have some other name that is usually difficult to read and likely to say made in China.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep I took both rear struts out today and waiting for my friend to take them to work to put the NEW Monroe shocks in but if he does not pick them up I will own another New tool and that will be a "Spring Compressor"
I had trouble to get the Passengers strut out, Maybe the 80 KG on one foot was not heavy enough.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Question!!
The bolts for the front strut/hub assembly that cost $35 for two bolts with the nuts are they a necessary to change them because aftermarket struts dont use them. I think $35 is a bit steep for two bolts + nuts.