Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE on the Cheap, Well Hope so

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Lazy cheap people that don't change oil and filter on time need to be banned from owing a vehicle.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Lazy cheap people that don't change oil and filter on time need to be banned from owing a vehicle.
Following the manufacturer’s service schedule is not being lazy or cheap.

The issue lies squarely with the manufacturer having designed an engine that does not survive when maintained according to their specified service schedules.

Blaming owners seems an easy and amusing quip but it’s shortsighted.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
C'mon, get real. That filter has been left in along with the oil, whatever the oil was, far longer than any recommended scheduled service time.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
@VFSV6FORME sorry to read that your motor looks to be suffering sludge issues but reading the link you provided re Flushing Oil Concentrate, it seems to provide you with a possible solution if the testimonials can be believed.

If you do choose to go down the FOC path in the hope it will cheaply fix your sludge issue, it would be fantastic if you could pull the driver side rocker off and take before and after photos so we all can see if it does indeed work. Heck, forum rules allowing, may be the manufacturers will ship you the product gratis so you can doing a review on withinthis thread.
Yes it only a cheap car that I purchased for $2300. It has a damaged passenger quarter panel ONLY that will cost me $1000 to fix and the rest of the car is good except for the quite v6 engine with sludge but the rest of the car is very good with leather seats and good shiny paint.

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Well I have a VF SV6 that uses Nulon Synthetic (DEXOS 1)oil ever 12 months that only does around 450K a year yes 450 that less than 1000. I have VR comm for the shopping car for 24 years and I change the oil every 10 month (Magnetic) and this car does no more than 4500k a year I bought the VE to fix up but I was surprised with the World wide Sludge problem on modern engines

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Have a look at the condition of the Oil filter.

The Photo below so my finger with sludge on the bottom of the Filter it self. I had about 5 top of fingers with this too to get it all out.

Didn't check the oil or service records before handing over your hard earned ?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Some time ago, when I worked in a Service Station, we had a similar issue with a customers car, the oil was like thick glug/treacle,
So what we did, was mix up 3 litres of STD engine oil, and 2 litres distillate, and placed a new filter on the motor, and ran it for 15 minutes [Not Drive It] , then drained it, and the amount of sludge that came out, was incredible,
Where you may need to do that a couple of times, and you are correct, replace the oil pressure sender,
This may helps clean the motor out.
good luck.

PS: After the clean out, probably do a Oil & Filter change after a couple of weeks of driving around, and that will probably remove more sludge.

Last edited:

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Some time ago, when I worked in a Service Station, we had a similar issue with a customers car, the oil was like thick glug/treacle,
So what we did, was mix up 3 litres of STD engine oil, and 2 litres distillate, and placed a new filter on the motor, and ran it for 15 minutes [Not Drive It] , then drained it, and the amount of sludge that came out, was incredible,
Where you may need to do that a couple of times, and you are correct, replace the oil pressure sender,
This may helps clean the motor out.
good luck.

PS: After the clean out, probably do a Oil & Filter change after a couple of weeks of driving around, and that will probably remove more sludge.
good advice just be careful as some have done this a weeks later engine dies due to sludge on oil pick up, full tear down sump removal required if bad sludge, that filter looks terrible.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Diesel fuel is a high detergent fuel and I was going to suggest running a full oil change and filter with clean diesel for about half an hour, draining , replace filter and repeat. The only issue is that the oil pickup might become blocked.
The question I have about this suggestion though, is whether the diesel would not only dislodge a good percentage of the sludge, but also thin it out so that could flow through oil passages and the pickup more readily. Any thoughts on this?