Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE on the Cheap, Well Hope so

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Lazy cheap people that don't change oil and filter on time need to be banned from owing a vehicle.
I totally 100% agree with you

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Didn't check the oil or service records before handing over your hard earned ?
The car cost me $2300 and with that sort of money you would expect to have no record/log book of the car. Today I contacted my friend that has a 2011 VE V6 and I ask him I need a Favor so I went to his house after I visited Supercheap to buy a new Filter and whilst I was there I ask him Pretty Please can I remove your filter and Filter to check your filter and he growled but he let me. NOW!!! He purchased this car brand new and has 178,500 k on the clock and his log book is PRESTINE!!! and never miss a servive from day one. The first 3cyers it was done at Holden and after that it was done by Untra Tune and YES he has sludge in his filter nowhere as much (around 40-45% like mine) like my one but he had it there. also I detected sludge in the filler cap so tell me what in THE F..k is going on as this car has a FULL history of service and the last years he was getting changed around 14 to 15,000 k (around 7 K a year) in two years to get there

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Diesel fuel is a high detergent fuel and I was going to suggest running a full oil change and filter with clean diesel for about half an hour, draining , replace filter and repeat. The only issue is that the oil pickup might become blocked.
The question I have about this suggestion though, is whether the diesel would not only dislodge a good percentage of the sludge, but also thin it out so that could flow through oil passages and the pickup more readily. Any thoughts on this?

I'm not in a Hurry ATM

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
tell me what in THE F..k is going on as this car has a FULL history of service

This....

getting changed around 14 to 15,000 k (around 7 K a year) in two years to get there

The service intervals are waaaaay to long irrespective of what Holden says, which is primarily about showing reduced servicing costs to new car owners.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
This....

The service intervals are waaaaay to long irrespective of what Holden says, which is primarily about showing reduced servicing costs to new car owners.
I told him today to Change his oil at least max 12 months and he should do around 7500k per year.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... Today I contacted my friend that has a 2011 VE V6 and I ask him I need a Favor so I went to his house after I visited Supercheap to buy a new Filter and whilst I was there I ask him Pretty Please can I remove your filter and Filter to check your filter and he growled but he let me. NOW!!! He purchased this car brand new and has 178,500 k on the clock and his log book is PRESTINE!!! and never miss a servive from day one. The first 3cyers it was done at Holden and after that it was done by Untra Tune and YES he has sludge in his filter nowhere as much (around 40-45% like mine) like my one but he had it there. also I detected sludge in the filler cap so tell me what in THE F..k is going on as this car has a FULL history of service and the last years he was getting changed around 14 to 15,000 k (around 7 K a year) in two years to get there
Hense why I said
Following the manufacturer’s service schedule is not being lazy or cheap.

The issue lies squarely with the manufacturer having designed an engine that does not survive when maintained according to their specified service schedules.

Blaming owners seems an easy and amusing quip but it’s shortsighted.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Diesel fuel is a high detergent fuel and I was going to suggest running a full oil change and filter with clean diesel for about half an hour, draining , replace filter and repeat. The only issue is that the oil pickup might become blocked.
The question I have about this suggestion though, is whether the diesel would not only dislodge a good percentage of the sludge, but also thin it out so that could flow through oil passages and the pickup more readily. Any thoughts on this?

Running full diesel could cause a higher chance of combustion, were the Oil will lower the octain level of Diesel, and as you mentioned, it will clean the engine, but again, going by the images of the old filter, it may need to be done a few times,
Which will be a better result,
As I said, "Don't Drive It", and/or "don't load the motor up", as the viscosity of the Oil and Distillate will be very thin, as you only using it as a cleaning agent.
It just needs to idle, with a few revs, and make sure you get it up to Temp, so the distillate will help clean the oil passageways.
But "may need" a couple of goes at it, because it looks fairly thick.
PS: Lifters may be a little noisy, that's only because the oil will be a bit thin.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I told him today to Change his oil at least max 12 months and he should do around 7500k per year.
My V8 service schedule is 15,000kms or 9 months which ever occurs first. So this equates to 4 oil changes over 3 years @ 20,000kms/year. At $150 per oil change that’s $600 over three years: just for oil changes.

Many here would recommend using shorter oil change interval of 7,500kms. Presumably the time portion of that oil change interval should also be halved to 4.5 months. This would cost twice what Holden has scheduled, $1200 over three years, but you’d be more likely to have clean engine internals in the long term as compared to following Holden’s recommendations.

So as @VS 5.0 says it seems more about showing reduced service costs to owners (rather than long engine life).

And supposedly the V8 doesn’t suffer as badly as the V6’s o_O

Anyway as mentioned in another thread, the V6’s have issues with poor crank case ventilation on the driver side bank via a piddling PCV system which had running changes made during manufacturer that didn’t 100% resolve the problem. I’ve also read elsewhere blowby gasses start to get worse as the engines clags up thus making the problem worse. It’s the classic positive feedback loop that needs to be nipped in the bud by a recall that fixes the underlying cause

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
On the score of service intervals, how many road test reviews have I read where the manufacturer is criticised for having only six or nine month intervals. And that covers a few current models. Obviously the road testers' mechanical knowledge is somewhat lacking.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Running full diesel could cause a higher chance of combustion, were the Oil will lower the octain level of Diesel, and as you mentioned, it will clean the engine, but again, going by the images of the old filter, it may need to be done a few times,
Which will be a better result,
As I said, "Don't Drive It", and/or "don't load the motor up", as the viscosity of the Oil and Distillate will be very thin, as you only using it as a cleaning agent.
It just needs to idol, with a few revs, and make sure you get it up to Temp, so the distillate will help clean the oil passageways.
But "may need" a couple of goes at it, because it looks fairly thick.
PS: Lifters may be a little noisy, that's only because the oil will be a bit thin.
Agree that idling only, no driving with the diesel mix. Half an hour would get the engine and sludge fully heated and enable the cleaning agents to do their best.