Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Phone Wiring / Connector for DashCam Wiring

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Dear Members, Compliments of the Season to All.
I was just wondering if the VE's had a Phone connector in the OEM loom, similar to what the VT's > VZ's did on the Passengers side, behind the console side panel.
I do have a Bluetooth kit installed in my VE anyway,
However, I was given a Dash Cam some months ago, and have been procrastinating of installing it,
But was wanting to do it while I had the time off without rushing it, and wanting to do it properly, where I would like to connect it to the existing loom if possible, in this case, the Phone Connector would be ideal, being there was a Hot Wire [Live Wire from the Battery via a fuse], Switched Wire [through the ignition Switch], and a Negative.
Which is required for a Dash Cam.
I did read that there is a connector up behind the glove box to the left, would you think this would be suffice.
Otherwise I can run a cable to the back of the car to the Battery box area.
Sort of figured, why do it, or double up, if the cable/connector is already in place.
any help/reply's much appreciated, thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Behind the console below the radio is a plug for the smokers pack which i used for my dash cam and GPS . I wired up an accessory plug which has 2 outlets and plugged them into it . Point of interest , dash cams only run on about 5v not 12V so please don't cut off the plug and hook it up direct to the loom or you will fry the dash cam . This is similar to what i installed images (2).jpeg

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Behind the console below the radio is a plug for the smokers pack which i used for my dash cam and GPS . I wired up an accessory plug which has 2 outlets and plugged them into it . Point of interest , dash cams only run on about 5v not 12V so please don't cut off the plug and hook it up direct to the loom or you will fry the dash cam . This is similar to what i installed View attachment 202777
Yes you are correct there is a DOC plug behind the glovebox that would be perfect for what you want to do, you can get an adapter for it from below to make it even easier if you needed to.

https://www.envyouscustoms.com/product/holden-ve-accessory-doc-plug-play-harness/
Behind the console below the radio is a plug for the smokers pack which i used for my dash cam and GPS . I wired up an accessory plug which has 2 outlets and plugged them into it . Point of interest , dash cams only run on about 5v not 12V so please don't cut off the plug and hook it up direct to the loom or you will fry the dash cam . This is similar to what i installed View attachment 202777

Hi Dayvo,
Thank you for that info, I found the socket, its on the Drivers side, behind the side panel, clipped into a metal Bracket.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dear Members,
I finally installed my Dash Cam over the Christmas / New Years Break,
As it was a 2 Channel, [Front and Rear Camera], instead of running the wiring around the side at the top of the Doors on the bottom edge of the head lining.
I carefully removed the Maps Reading lights above the front seats, and the trim at the Rear [being a Sportwagon]
And poked a flooring tongue over the top of the head lining from rear to front, and taped the rear camera cable to the tongue, and pulled it back, took probably no more than 10 mins and made the job heaps easier, and looks neater.
PS: Coiled the excess wiring for the rear camera above/beside the map reading lights.

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Did you take pics

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you take pics

No, Sorry, not at the time,
But it was very easy tho,
The hardest part was passing the rear camera cable through the transfer hose with the washer bottle hose,
Had to remove it and pull enough length trough the hose, so I could tape the cable on the to hose, then pulled it back, and re-fitted the transfer hose.
There was one thing I didn't do, which was my choice, I didn't mount the rear camera on the window, as I have tint on it , and it could peal the tint off, then you know what that will look like,
So I mounted it on the rear door moulding, and that worked out ok.

I will get some photo's tomorrow, and post them up if anyone is interested in the them.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Sorry to revive this older thread but I’ll be needing to install a dash cam in parking mode onto a VE Series 2 soon and I’m a bit confused by all of the comments above and elsewhere in the forum - is there a DOC connector similar to the VF that’s behind the glove box, driver’s side radio stack, or passenger side kick panel to the radio stack?

I am happy to use male spade connectors to just connect onto the pins of the DOC for constant, battery and ground. Any photos would be helpful too. Thanks.