Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Platform to last just 6 years!

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
According to MOTOR magazine, the VE Commodores platform will only last 6 years, giving it the shortest lifespan of any commodore yet.

A new commodore is in the pipelines already apparently, and it should be released in 2012.

The Zeta architecture will remain though, covering the next platform as well.

Does anyone else find this weird with the VE being such a major step for Holden? Perhaps this indicates Holdens plans for a Hydrogen Commodore as well?

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
I guess it wouldn't be that hard to "upgrade" the body. After all the VN/VP ran for about the 5 years before being upgraded to the VR which was meant to represent "80%" worth of changes. Just a guess.

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
Wow when you say 2012 it seems like your talking about the space age. I should probably start adjusting to this whole 2000 thing.

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
Woops my views on this topic:

I dont really have one. Although if they were thinking hydrogen would they even have to change the platform? I dont know much about that topic.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think changing the platform would be beneficial... depending on how the Hydrogen is stored and how much space it takes up etc and how the system works.

But it wouldnt be necessary... But new engines always come with new models, so I would presume they would aim for the new platformed model to bring it in? Especially when its a major change such as this.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
mongoose3800 said:
I guess it wouldn't be that hard to "upgrade" the body. After all the VN/VP ran for about the 5 years before being upgraded to the VR which was meant to represent "80%" worth of changes. Just a guess.

It wouldnt just be a upgrde to the body though, this will be a new platform (though still using the same architecture), so it would be like VS to VT.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Plonking a new body on an existing platform is a (relatively) cheap exercise. Probably 20-30% more than the AU/BA Falcon upgrade a couple of years ago. My guess is that in 6 years time the Alloytech will be around 8 years old and due for a major upgrade which would be scheduled with an "all new" model.

This will give the media something to talk about rather than focus on the carry-over chassis. Pure speculation on my part - will be interesting to see how close I am :)

Reaper

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not sure how that last post was meant, but in case you didnt get what I wrote, it will be a NEW platform.

I think the next engine for the commodore will not be a petrol run engine, instead either a petrol/hydrogen hybrid like that seen in the 7 series BMW Hydrogen model being sold from next April or some other sort of hybrid engine whatever that may be.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
1991_Vn2nV said:
Not sure how that last post was meant, but in case you didnt get what I wrote, it will be a NEW platform.

I think the next engine for the commodore will not be a petrol run engine, instead either a petrol/hydrogen hybrid like that seen in the 7 series BMW Hydrogen model being sold from next April or some other sort of hybrid engine whatever that may be.

Hmmm... The info I have is that the platform will stay but AFAIK no final decisions have even been made in that respect yet. (preliminary plans would exist for several different options though)

I'd be *very* suprised if the hybrid ever gets sold beyond very limited numbers if it gets up at all (in the forseeable future). I understand a td is being worked on for release in the near term.

Reaper

Rombles

HSVDT #1
Reaction score
Website
rombles.msn.space.com
Members Ride
HSVDT Limited Ed'n Z Series Clubsport #8-6.0L/M6
Actually the new engines lately have been coming out with the mid-model changes.... Ecotec V6 came in with VS update from VR, and Alloytec came in with VZ update from VY. So based on that pattern, expect a new engine for either the last model off this platform or the second model off the next one.