Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Police Mode - What exactly is part of it?

superiornz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hey all, I just purchased an ex police 09 Omega VE and it has the police mode activated on it for obvious reason.

I wanted to know exactly what is part of 'police mode' in the VE

1) Digital Speedo
2) 'Trap Speed'

On my steering wheel control, the left wheel activated traps speed, right wheel adjusts stereo volume. However, both the buttons (left one is trip control) and right one is the phone control does not work, i.e does not do anything when i press them.

Is this because of police mode or because the switches are bung? I dont want to spend $$ and hours putting in the new switch just to find out it was actually because of police mode.

Also on the main interior right, there is a switch 'blackout switch' which pretty much turns off all interior dash lights, I am assuming this was used for undercover purposes, will disabling police mode take this function away or is this a seperate custom wiring?

and last question is.... How the heck do you turn police mode on/off. I hear people mentioning on VE commodores you dont need Tech2 or go into dealers to do it? if this is true, anyone know exactly how?

Cheers!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Im not 100% sure about a VE, but the other day I saw " police mode" option come up in the menus when doing some stuff on a VY with the tech 2.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
I'm not a hundred percent sure but is that the mode when you hold the two dash light dimmer switches at the same time?

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
look up, and to your left, near the sunglass holder. There is a long bar, running from left to right. Press that: it induces some strange displays, but can be turned off the same was as turning it on.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
In the VE's digital speedo and a dash blackout are standard in all vehicles.

To activate the digital speedo, go:

Trip
In the Customization menu hit enter and look for digital speedo and then activate it.

For the dash blackout.
Hold the 2 brightness adjustment buttons at the same time for a second or so, everything but the centre display and your speedo will blackout, very useful for landing on an aircraft carrier in the South China Sea... less useful in Penrith...

SV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VN Clubsport
I have an ex police as as well there is differences between pushing both the dimmer switches and pushing the button on the roof. As for the police mode I had mine turned off at the dealers. With the phone button you might not have the Bluetooth module installed behind the glove box (due to being an omega) mine works in the ss

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Surveillance Mode (Surv Mode)

The Surveillance mode function is designed for police vehicles only, and provides a way to disable all automated lighting and sounds while the dedicated Surveillance mode switch input to the BCM is in the On (grounded) state. The Surveillance mode function is switched On and Off by an alternate press of the Surveillance button, which is the rectangular monetary push-button on the overhead console. The overhead console contains electronic switches which toggles the state of the output to the BCM between ON and Off. The default state of the battery is Surveillance mode On. When Surveillance mode is On:
• Parkers and Headlamps do not work when the headlamp switch is in the “Auto” position.
• All lamps on the inadvertent power feed will be turned off.
• Maps lights will still function, as they have a separate battery feed in police vehicles only.
• The courtesy lights will not illuminate when a door is opened or a remote key is used.
• Turn signal flashes or horn chirps will not operate when a remote key is used.
• Chimes are suppressed.
• All internal backlighting is switched Off.
• Cluster backlighting is set to minimum.

evotime

Reaction score
Members Ride
not yet

Last edited:

superiornz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Cheers Evotime,you seem pretty bang on there.

Just a quick question, next to my left scrol (which does the trap speed) is the 'trip' button which doesnt do anything at the moment.

Is this also because of my police made being enabled?

Cheers

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Hey thanks to this thread I worked out how to turn off the display of the IQ system on my SSV, pressing both of the dash dimmer switches simultaneously. I do a lot of night driving and find the display too bright even set at its darkest level, something I thought I was going to have to live with, not so! Thanks guys!