Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Police Mode - What exactly is part of it?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

dolsen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega SII
Sorry, was trying to make time to do a write up about fixing issues with ex police commodores but this will have to do.

The steering wheel switches are fed from the dash board. Different switches present a different resistance to the dash board which then uses the resistance to work out which switch has been pressed. Police commodores tap into this circuit to allow the top right switch to operate their hands free system for the police radio. When they rip out their stuff before selling them they leave the return wire open circuit resulting in the switches not operating. In this mode, the dash board changes the display to show the speed while traveling and odometer when off.

To restore operation, you need to reconnect the orange wire with black trace back to the dashboard. Remove the bottom trim under the steering wheel.

In the image you can see the orange with black trace has been cut when they installed the police equipment. the orange / black trace wire goes off with a white wire and comes back with a blue wire. You just need to cut the blue and white wires and connect them together (on the orange with black trace side of the cut).
After that, your steering wheel buttons should work again.

You will also probably find that the front speakers don't work. You just need to reconnect the speaker wires where they attach to the radio in the centre console.

Bennyflash

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Holden Commodore Omega VE Series II Auto
Hi,

Did you ever get this sorted? I just brought an ex police commodore and had the same issue. It was because of the police equipment installed and then removed. They cut the wire for the steering wheel switch so they can hook into it for their hands free police radio. It's very easy to fix. Let me know if you still need the info.

Daniel.

Hi
do you still have the information on how to disable the trap speed so i am able to use the scroll button to change songs?
cheers

XCOPWAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore
Hi
do you still have the information on how to disable the trap speed so i am able to use the scroll button to change songs?
cheers

My SS also starts on default digital speedo and trap speed. Can be annoying that i cant change songs. Does anyone know how to disable this?

Simar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore 2008
Hi,

Did you ever get this sorted? I just brought an ex police commodore and had the same issue. It was because of the police equipment installed and then removed. They cut the wire for the steering wheel switch so they can hook into it for their hands free police radio. It's very easy to fix. Let me know if you still need the info.

Daniel.
Hi dear
Can you please out me on this problem, i have also ex cop car it dose same, please reply me back
Cheers

MS660

Reaction score
Members Ride
x2 VE omega sedan
Sorry, was trying to make time to do a write up about fixing issues with ex police commodores but this will have to do.

The steering wheel switches are fed from the dash board. Different switches present a different resistance to the dash board which then uses the resistance to work out which switch has been pressed. Police commodores tap into this circuit to allow the top right switch to operate their hands free system for the police radio. When they rip out their stuff before selling them they leave the return wire open circuit resulting in the switches not operating. In this mode, the dash board changes the display to show the speed while traveling and odometer when off.

To restore operation, you need to reconnect the orange wire with black trace back to the dashboard. Remove the bottom trim under the steering wheel.

In the image you can see the orange with black trace has been cut when they installed the police equipment. the orange / black trace wire goes off with a white wire and comes back with a blue wire. You just need to cut the blue and white wires and connect them together (on the orange with black trace side of the cut).
After that, your steering wheel buttons should work again.

You will also probably find that the front speakers don't work. You just need to reconnect the speaker wires where they attach to the radio in the centre console.
This worked great for my 2 ex-police cars, THANKS